Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collector Recommendation

According to its website, Clearvue cyclones are "proudly made in the USA!"
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Blog Entries
    I've been looking at the Harvey G700. It is listed at $2,390 right now with $329 shipping. For my small shop it is a lot to spend.

I don't know if that may be of interest but it is a different solution than the typical dust collector designs.

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/pr...saAmokEALw_wcB

Does anyone have an opinion on the Southbend models that Grizzly is now selling? I like the sound panels, flow meter, and everything on wheels. Also quite compact and seems like a lot of collector for the money. I like the 3 HP model. I don't think I have the need for 5 HP. I'm a one man, one machine at a time shop. Not buying yet, but planning for when I move to a new shop in a couple of years.

I'm a very happy owner of a 5HP Oneida. Works great, even with a long run to a wide belt sander.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion on the Southbend models that Grizzly is now selling? I like the sound panels, flow meter, and everything on wheels. Also quite compact and seems like a lot of collector for the money. I like the 3 HP model. I don't think I have the need for 5 HP. I'm a one man, one machine at a time shop. Not buying yet, but planning for when I move to a new shop in a couple of years.
    I doubt there's any real experience on these units since they were literally just put in the catalog...if they will provide a fan curve, then the unit can be evaluated with some level of objectivity. Without that, it's a guessing game relative to performance.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...if they will provide a fan curve, ...
    It's in the manual:

SB1099.jpg
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

David, that's good to see that they are including the fan curve. Not many mass-marketers do.
    --

I can recommend the Clearvue 5hp metal-bodied cyclone (Pentz EF-5). Assembly is a breeze; performance has been great.

It is my first 2 stage DC, so can't offer any direct comparisons to the Oneida, but the CV works well for me.

David, that's good to see that they are including the fan curve. Not many mass-marketers do.
    All of the Grizzly cyclone manuals I've looked at have performance curves on the last page of the System Design section, just before the Grounding section.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

For my small workshop, size is a major consideration. While a replacement can be up to about 9' in height, the footprint has to be small. With that consideration in mind, the Oneida Supercell looks like a good candidate.

supercell-14.jpg

However, this DC can only handle one (1) tool with a 4" of 5" duct at a time. It also requires a high pressure hose because it can collapse standard DC hoses. And like most 5HP+ DCs, it ain't cheap, $2400 on up. But it's comparatively small, easy to install and there's no monster filter hanging off the side. It has an internal filter with a reverse feature that quickly cleans the filter out.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie, another advantage of the Supercell for the small shop is that it is usable with smaller tools including hand-helds because of its ability to work well with higher static pressure. Obviously, there are some compromises in both directions, but it does fill the niche it aims to very well.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    For my small workshop, size is a major consideration. While a replacement can be up to about 9' in height, the footprint has to be small. With that consideration in mind, the Oneida Supercell looks like a good candidate.
    Julie, another advantage of the Supercell for the small shop is that it is usable with smaller tools including hand-helds because of its ability to work well with higher static pressure. Obviously, there are some compromises in both directions, but it does fill the niche it aims to very well.
    I've thought about the Supercell a few times for my basement shop, given its smaller size.

However I don't think it would work well in my situation, where I want to run a duct line overhead and over to the far wall of my shop. The shop is only 16' wide, but obviously the duct run requires more pipe than that. Plus the Supercell is really only rated for less than 500 CFM, which I don't think is truly adequate for my 12" Hammer J/P or my drum sander. And then there's the fact that I really want to collect from both the top of my table saw and the cabinet at the same time, and I don't think the Supercell can handle that.

So instead I'm looking at the V-3000 (which can easily fit into my shop) or the larger Dust Gorilla Pro (which I might just be able to squeeze into the shop).
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    However I don't think it would work well in my situation, where I want to run a duct line overhead and over to the far wall of my shop. The shop is only 16' wide, but obviously the duct run requires more pipe than that. Plus the Supercell is really only rated for less than 500 CFM, which I don't think is truly adequate for my 12" Hammer J/P or my drum sander. And then there's the fact that I really want to collect from both the top of my table saw and the cabinet at the same time
    Not sure the pipe length is a major obstacle; Oneida has a video showing the system pulling through a very long flex hose.
    And there are some videos of the system doing chip extraction on a planer.

I'd think it would work well for above-table collection, but your question about connecting to both over and under collection points at the same time is a good one.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Not sure the pipe length is a major obstacle; Oneida has a video showing the system pulling through a very long flex hose.
    And there are some videos of the system doing chip extraction on a planer.

I'd think it would work well for above-table collection, but your question about connecting to both over and under collection points at the same time is a good one.

Matt
    Yeah, I'm not sure about the piping length. My current piping is 5" HVAC stuff from the Borg, and I don't know if that would hold up to the Supercell. And I definitely want to do over and under collection simultaneously.

I'm also thinking longer-term for when I'll eventually move to a different shop, which is planned to be larger. That setup would almost certainly require a decent sized cyclone and not the Supercell. Of course that's probably 10 years out, so who knows.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I have spent a ton of time as an engineer understanding dust collection and there are a lot of "interwebs" wisdom that's just incorrect. I now have a 5HP Oneida Smart Collector. The smart collector automatically adjusts the fan speed to increase pressure when the dust port is small. Bottom line, the smallest path the air flows through is like 90% of the impact on the CFM. I have a white paper that I am happy to share. I've attached a link to an older post with PDF files of the white paper attached.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....68#post2541068
    Last edited by Joe Jensen; 02-18-2021 at 11:29 AM.