Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dust Collector Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure about the piping length. My current piping is 5" HVAC stuff from the Borg, and I don't know if that would hold up to the Supercell. And I definitely want to do over and under collection simultaneously.

I'm also thinking longer-term for when I'll eventually move to a different shop, which is planned to be larger. That setup would almost certainly require a decent sized cyclone and not the Supercell. Of course that's probably 10 years out, so who knows.
    From what I've seen, distance isn't an obstacle. Oneida's video has the Supercell hooked up to a 100' hose. I saw another video where the new owner had a shop about 60' long. He installed the Supercell at one end and connected the usual collection of WW tools to it. Another owner's video had all sorts of Y's and T's throughout his shop. He tested every port's CFM and all were sufficient.

If I went the Supercell route, it would be connected to a 6" Y which is tied to (1) 5" for the JP and the rest to 4" HVAC piping, with the exception of a couple of DC rated 90s. I haven't seen anything indicating the Supercell couldn't handle it. Of course, a call to Oneida would probably answer all our questions...
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I upgraded to the cleavue Max a few years ago. Wow what an upgrade. I don't see any problem with he plastic cyclone. I don't plan on putting anything but chips and sawdust through it. Besides, it looks cool when you start sucking dust up from the drum sander or joiner/planner.

https://www.clearvuecyclones.com/8-cv-max

Relatively easy to set-up. I mounted it to the wall. The hardest part was picking the 5hp motor up to place it on wall bracket.

I use a 55gallon drum for my dust collection bin. Some find that too big to handel when full, but I have no problem with it. Any smaller I feel I would be constantly having to empty it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Julie, another advantage of the Supercell for the small shop is that it is usable with smaller tools including hand-helds because of its ability to work well with higher static pressure. Obviously, there are some compromises in both directions, but it does fill the niche it aims to very well.
    Jim, I just got off the phone with Oneida sales. I was curious if my existing HVAC ductwork would potentially collapse using the Supercell. He said if it's 30 gauge or less, the Supercell would probably collapse it. I asked if the run was 4" or 5", from the DC to the tool, with no reductions in size, could the Supercell still potentially collapse it? Same answer.

He said heavier gauge HVAC ductwork could possible handle it but not the standard big box variety.

Just an FYI for you to share for anyone else looking at connecting the Supercell to an existing HVAC duct system.

I have a fairly old 3 HP dust gorilla Oneida. Outside of full scale production I can't imagine needing anything more.

I use an appliance remote (x10 I think) to turn it on and off and regular manual blast gates. One of the better upgrades I have ever done.

Joe
    JC Custom WoodWorks

For best results, try not to do anything stupid.

"So this is how liberty dies...with thunderous applause." - Padmé Amidala "Star Wars III: The Revenge of the Sith"

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Jim, I just got off the phone with Oneida sales. I was curious if my existing HVAC ductwork would potentially collapse using the Supercell. He said if it's 30 gauge or less, the Supercell would probably collapse it. I asked if the run was 4" or 5", from the DC to the tool, with no reductions in size, could the Supercell still potentially collapse it? Same answer.

He said heavier gauge HVAC ductwork could possible handle it but not the standard big box variety.

Just an FYI for you to share for anyone else looking at connecting the Supercell to an existing HVAC duct system.

That makes sense, Julie. All my snap-lock is 26 gage "stove pipe", whether sourced from Oneida or from the 'borg. (they do actually carry it here) In a future shop, I'd do spiral,
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That makes sense, Julie. All my snap-lock is 26 gage "stove pipe", whether sourced from Oneida or from the 'borg. (they do actually carry it here) In a future shop, I'd do spiral,
    You're not planning on going with Nordfab or some other equivalent "quick clamp" setup in a future shop, Jim? I'm debating going with the quick clamp stuff when I upgrade my DC, mostly for the ease of moving things around later if needed, and also because I won't have to tape up all those joints. The cost is obviously (much) higher for the quick clamp stuff, regardless of vendor, but not having to reach up in between the rafters in my basement to tape up joints seems like a fair tradeoff to me. lol

And right now I'm heavily leaning toward the Oneida V-3000. While the Dust Gorilla Pro is more powerful, I seriously don't think I can fit that into my shop without having to make some major modifications and concessions. The V-3000 should fit without any problems, really. I've been drawing up my duct plans in Sketchup and need to make a post in here soon asking the community for advice / feedback.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    You're not planning on going with Nordfab or some other equivalent "quick clamp" setup in a future shop, Jim?
    I would most likely use a hybrid approach for cost control. I already use the Nordfab type quick connects for some of my drops (CNC, router table, drum sander) as they are all overhead and that makes for convenience. How much more of it I'd use would depend upon the actual shop situation I end up with when we finally get to the "main ring of the RE Circus". The more flexible I have to be, the more quick-connect I'll embrace. If money were no object I'd use it 100%, but that's not realistic for me at this point...Power Ball just hasn't shown the love. LOL

BTW, the quick connect stuff I have now was ordered from Grizzly.
    --

I'll admit I was pretty shocked to hear the Supercell could collapse that pipe. On the other hand, the sales rep was thinking borg HVAC pipe is 30 GA. IIRC, he said 26 GA would probably be okay.

It's really a stretch for me to get the Supercell and it would eliminate any chance of a new cabinet saw, but that DC is perfect for my shop. Everything else I've seen is just too large. And I really like the idea of a self contained, easily cleaned, filter. No more outside venting would mean I could have an air-conditioned garage shop! But if I have to replace all the ductwork, that puts the overall price a bit too high.

EDIT: I just measured a sample piece of the duct I used. Dimensions ranged from .0165" to .0185", somewhere between 26 and 28 GA.
    Last edited by Julie Moriarty; 02-27-2021 at 9:34 AM.

Julie, keep in mind that the SuperCell is designed to be able to support higher static pressure so it's more versatile....it can be used successfully with smaller tools that have smaller ports. That higher static pressure is what's at issue here and why they caution against using thin metal ducting like the typical 30 gage HVAC stuff that's normally used with positive pressure. They will, however, provide the same caution for any of their systems...30 gage is not recommended. 26 gage is fine until you get to the really big systems...very large diameter duct necessarily uses thicker material by default.
    --

Julie, keep in mind that the SuperCell is designed to be able to support higher static pressure so it's more versatile....it can be used successfully with smaller tools that have smaller ports. That higher static pressure is what's at issue here and why they caution against using thin metal ducting like the typical 30 gage HVAC stuff that's normally used with positive pressure. They will, however, provide the same caution for any of their systems...30 gage is not recommended. 26 gage is fine until you get to the really big systems...very large diameter duct necessarily uses thicker material by default.
    Thanks, Jim. I won't pretend to completely understand the specifics of the Supercell. I've just taken their word for it. Though I have wondered how effective it would be if a second blast gate was partially opened to prevent collapse of the pipe. I just keep dreaming of having a cool shop in the summer...

Just saw a couple videos on the Harvey G700. At $2295, it's certainly competitive with the other top cyclones, with a fraction of the noise.

In regards to ducting thickness required, it depends on the negative pressure in the branch/system, not necessarily the collector capability. However, best practice is to design for the max pressure capability of the collector.

For example, a shop vac connected to a 6" duct system. The shop vac only generates about 125-150 ACFM. As long as you have a gate open when it is running, you will never collapse the ducting because the SP will be so low at that low flowrate. If you close all the gates though and the system is tight, then it will pull its max SP on the ducting, and may even pull your 26 ga. flat.