Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust Collector Recommendation

Dust Collector Recommendation

I've been looking at the Oneida 5HP Cyclone Dust Collector. Does anyone have any feedback or recommendations for another brand? Thanks for your help.

While I'm a big fan of Oneida and an Oneida owner, Clearvue is also worthy of consideration. I'm personally preferential to metal so for CV, it would have to be the new blue metal one they sell if I were considering them. But that's just me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also like metal over plastic. I looked at both the Oneida and the Grizzly G0442 5HP and went with the Grizzly based on cost and the fact that I have a number of other Grizzly tools. I've been happy with my cyclone. Grizzly has trouble keeping them in stock though.

Quote Originally Posted by William Leong View Post
    I've been looking at the Oneida 5HP Cyclone Dust Collector. Does anyone have any feedback or recommendations for another brand? Thanks for your help.
    Which one? Oneida has several 5hp models.

Think if you check, the Grizzly and the CV both have larger impellers than the Oneida. Larger diameter impeller means more suction. Would go with the CV 16" if you go CV. 5hp will handle the increased diameter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Larger diameter impeller means more suction..
    Actually, it means more air flow at a given velocity...dust collections have low static pressure (suction). But there are also multiple things that affect performance and the only real way to compare performance is via fan curves. Mass marketers don't tend to offer them so that comparison gets harder when one gets beyond the dedicated dust collection firms.
    --

I have the Oneida 5 hp Gorilla from about 4-5 years ago. I have been extremely pleased with and using a primarily 6" DWV ducts. I get very good flow even with 4" ports. My measured max flow was about 1700 cfm at 2" SP. Max SP was 12" at 400 cfm.

I have absolutely no complaints with it.

I have the 3HP Dust Gorilla from a dozen years ago. I believe I went with Oneida over Grizzly due to some kind of mounting consideration in my old shop. Also at the time, I used bags and Oneida had a better bag retention system.

I haven't had any trouble with it, other than overfilling the drum, which is 100% operator error.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    While I'm a big fan of Oneida and an Oneida owner, Clearvue is also worthy of consideration. I'm personally preferential to metal so for CV, it would have to be the new blue metal one they sell if I were considering them. But that's just me.
    I've been window shopping cyclone DCs lately and liked what I saw at Clearvue. Didn't remember the blue steel version until I went back to take a look. When I saw it was $1K more than the next model, I remembered why I forgot.

There is a video of a guy who bought one of the plastic models. He ran 8" DWV pipe throughout his shop, connected his machines to the system and ran some tests. Dust collection was quite impressive.

Plus, with the clear cyclone, your kids or grandkids can watch the cyclone in action! And with that $1K you saved, you can take them out for ice cream, a whole bunch of times.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Yes, the Clearvue can be entertaining if it's visible...but in my shop, the cyclone is in a sound deadened closet (and will be in any future shop, too) so the pretty swirling show is out of sight...and out of mind. The latter sometimes resulting in what Andrew mentioned. LOL
    --

If you feel price and quality is about the same between the manufacturers, consider that Oneida is made in America.

I've owned an Oneida cyclone for 19 years, works great............Rod.

I actually picked up my current Oneida at the factory in Syracuse...'got the fifty cent tour, loaded up and headed home. It was a very nice day trip at the time. The first, smaller one was shipped to me. It's still in use in a friend's shop nearby which makes it about 21 years old.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I've been window shopping cyclone DCs lately and liked what I saw at Clearvue. Didn't remember the blue steel version until I went back to take a look. When I saw it was $1K more than the next model, I remembered why I forgot.

There is a video of a guy who bought one of the plastic models. He ran 8" DWV pipe throughout his shop, connected his machines to the system and ran some tests. Dust collection was quite impressive.

Plus, with the clear cyclone, your kids or grandkids can watch the cyclone in action! And with that $1K you saved, you can take them out for ice cream, a whole bunch of times.
    Oneida is too expensive for me I don't think there will enough appreciable difference b/t them and Clear Vue to warrant the expense.

I don’t know if Clear Vue is still made in America. I know mine was. About 20 years ago I watched Ed Magano heating the plastic in a kitchen range! Mine has performed beautifully. It is even better since I got rid of the filters and started blowing outside. Great product.
    Charlie Jones