Thread: Homestead Mission Finish Process

Homestead Mission Finish Process

I'm working on a little stool using scrap QSWO and using the Homestead process for finishing. I've used this a number of times and it really works well. For those considering trying it out but still unsure, here's a simple 1-2-3 guide.

Step 1 - Sand to 220 grid and blow out all the pores.

IMG_0629.jpg

Step 2- Apply dye. I dissolve the dye in DNA instead of water as it has less impact on raising the grain. I use either a Golden Oak (pictured) or a Reddish Brown depending on how I want the piece to look and how much "Pop" I want from the grain. I should note that this is the part where a first time user of this process will be certain the project is ruined. When dry, the color can be pretty bright. Have faith. when dry, lightly sand with a very fine grit or use a Scotchbrite pad.

IMG_0632.jpg

Step 3 - Apply glaze. This is Minwax #2750 Jacobean. I brush it on liberally and after a bit wipe it town with an old dish towel or other thirsty rag. I tend to rub it out across the grain or in circles so I don't pull it out of the pores. This is the part where the first time user of the process starts breathing again with the realization that the project isn't ruined.

IMG_0633.jpg

As you can see, the dye really makes the ray flake pop. I need to let this dry for a couple days prior to finishing it. A clear finish makes the figure in the wood really come to life. The plan is a coat of clear Watco Danish oil, a couple coats of Garnet Shellac, and then semi gloss polyurethane for the top. It's a step stool and I need the top to be durable.

IMG_0634.jpg

I'm a real believer in this process. I have a few vintage arts and crafts pieces from the turn of the century and this really nails the look.
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 02-13-2021 at 7:33 PM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I did a similar one a couple months ago. I think it was one of his recipes. I need to make sure I remember, as I need to replicate it for more furniture in that room This one is more reddish, as that was the client's (i.e. my wife's) requirements.

IMG_8125.jpgIMG_8124.jpg

Yup. That's what I get when I use the reddish brown dye. It's a great look.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.