Thread: kids like this give me hope

kids like this give me hope

Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 02-13-2021 at 3:56 PM. Reason: added color to link
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Lots of great kids out there. Taught 13 year olds my whole life. They are very trustworthy, smart and helpful for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Bill, did you mean to post a link? Im not seeing one.

yes, I forgot to color the link. But Steve jumped in and made a nice save. Thx Steve.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Saw on the news that's there is a nationally co-ordinated effort to help seniors who can't register.

There are a lot of bright, hard working kids out there. I often joke that if I had had to compete with them when I was entering college, I would never have been accepted.

Of course, the thing we don't see is the help and guidance that the parents give. That's more likely to be available to kids of wealthy, well educated parents who have the time to spend with their kids and the knowledge to direct them in the right direction.

That's the beginning of the inequities in our society. Kids from poor families often don't see themselves as anything but what they see around them, such as being a gardener. The idea that they could be an engineer, a doctor, or a lawyer is just so far out of their experience that it seen as impossible.

I don't know how we can address this, except to give a hand-up to kids from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Mike

[Years ago, a neighbor girl used to come hang out in my shop - she was 8 years old. One day I asked her about school and if she knew what she wanted to be when she grew up.

She said she didn't know, but added "I have to make good grades in school or I'll have to go to community college." I was just amazed. At 8 years of age, I didn't even know there was a thing called community college. But her parents had taught her that (1) she was going to go to college, and (2) she had to do well in school now.

In general, kids can't raise themselves. And if they are forced to, they often don't do a good job of it. Good parents go a long way towards creating good kids.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-14-2021 at 3:49 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.