Thread: Winzip

Blog Entries

Winzip

What is it? Have any of you downloaded it?

It is a program that compresses/uncompresses files on a computer. I used to use it at work when we would receive a zipped file from a customer that wouldn't unzip using the windows extractor. Haven't needed it in years though.

It's what Lisa describes, but that functionality is largely built into operating systems at this point.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've used it in the distant past, had reasonable encryption/security at the time if i recall correctly.

Blog Entries
    Lisa is right but it also can do more for you.
    —In the course of compressing, winzip also calculates a “checksum” of the file contents. That is included in the compressed file. Upon receipt, the file contents are put through the same process and the result is compared to the checksum in the file. This means that your file has been transferred without error.
    — back in the day, the were limits on attachment size. Winzip can break your large file up into multiple chunks which are then stitched back together
    — you can secure zip files with a password

i used to use winzip all the time before I retired. I may have missed some features.

I still use it. I believe Win 10 lost some of the functionality supplied in previous versions Windows.

I have had for more than a decade and love it for sending large groups of files, like a photo set or a music concert.
    Regards,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    What is it? Have any of you downloaded it?
    Lisa has described it pretty well.

I actually use it (another program) pretty regularly. I prefer it to inbuilt program in Windows. Photos, songs, backups, etc are where I use it most of the time.

If you do have a use for it, then I would suggest 7-Zip instead. It's a open source (fully free to use), supports more file formats/algorithms, and has no advertisements or restrictions.

It's available at www.7-zip.org

PS: Link provided as information. It's an open source software and I have no affiliation with it. Have used it for 10-12 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuj Prateek View Post
    Lisa has described it pretty well.

I actually use it (another program) pretty regularly. I prefer it to inbuilt program in Windows. Photos, songs, backups, etc are where I use it most of the time.

If you do have a use for it, then I would suggest 7-Zip instead. It's a open source (fully free to use), supports more file formats/algorithms, and has no advertisements or restrictions.

It's available at www.7-zip.org

PS: Link provided as information. It's an open source software and I have no affiliation with it. Have used it for 10-12 years now.
    I also recall 7-zip being a bit more secure when saved with a password though I don't recall the reason. I recall that zip files encrypted with a password were pretty easy to crack, 7-zip less so. I'm pretty sure it won't matter to Lowell but *zip works pretty well cross platform.