Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who is making O1 chisels of high quality?

I'd pay a hundred, just for the 1/8".

Malcolm, look on eBay for the old “cast steel” chisels. The one I sent you is cast steel, I’ve always liked those as they seem to be so slick,
    leaving a really smooth surface. I see little difference among the old brands.

Blog Entries
    It is always a bit strange checking the site in Oz and seeing this:

Date Time Difference.png

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    BTW my favorites, if we are talking vintage, is my Buck Brothers bevel edge chisels for paring and Witherby straight edge for firmer chisels.

There are many other vintage makers that are worth pursuing if one wants to accumulate full sets.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Lie Nielsen O-1's come up from time to time either or the forums or on ebay I sold a set of these some time ago: as I recall, they did not command a significant price premium, but this was before the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Arthur View Post
    The lacy figure on the (I believe) 1/4" handle is just exceptional. Was thinking how beautiful it would look on a chefs knife.
    I bet you'll have a hard time letting them go.
    Thanks Dean

Will these do? The wood is also a She-oak, with a more subtle figure. This set went to my son and soon-to-be daughter-in-law ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Just looked on Ebay . Did not know how much the prices had gone up !! Few years back several dollars would buy a good chisel. The money
    is so inflated that I’m gonna have to tie kite string to to it !!

Exactly! Beautiful, intriguing knife block as well. Quite stunning. Always a treat to have heirlooms like this - no doubt your son and his bride to be love it.

I'm sure we've all gotten a little thrill when visiting guests notice a piece and ask where they can get one, and get to discover there's only one in the world.

Wish it was easier to trade wood around the world. That she-oak is reminiscent of our North American maple stained with aquafortis, traditional with our long rifles.

Blog Entries
    Sorry I lost this thread and missed Derek’s beautiful chisels. I would have paid the shipping for those! I found a set by Andrew Kimmons; Kimmons Tools. Pulled the trigger on them. Exactly the set I was looking for.
    FB15952F-EF4B-482F-925F-21349EC2184E.jpg