Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is making O1 chisels of high quality?

Blog Entries

Who is making O1 chisels of high quality?

Hello all:

I have been doing a lot of power tool work lately, but haven’t forgotten my roots!

I was happy to see Veritas showing O1 chisels on their site. Went to buy, but it says “no longer available.” I think O1 steel got a bad rap because people always said it dulls faster and overlooked that it gets sharper and is easier to sharpen.

I would like a small set from a quality maker. Who is making them now? Thanks in advance.

Building an unplugged campaign chair and hope to have a post before long.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 02-13-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Malcolm, I'm sure that it is a matter of time before LV begin manufacturing again.

In the meantime, Ron Brese has begun making chisels. I am sure that he would also customise them for you. There are also Ashley Iles chisels. Plus .. of course ... a whole lot of Japanese chisels to choose from.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ashley Iles and Hirsch/Two Cherries?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Malcolm, I'm sure that it is a matter of time before LV begin manufacturing again.

In the meantime, Ron Brese has begun making chisels. I am sure that he would also customise them for you. There are also Ashley Iles chisels. Plus .. of course ... a whole lot of Japanese chisels to choose from.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Ah, You know, I love my Japanese chisels. Maybe I need to upgrade to a better set of those. Did not think of it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Ashley Iles and Hirsch/Two Cherries?
    Didn’t know they made O1. Thanks.

I have a number of Ashley Isles chisels that I use often and are very decent. Nice thing about O1 for me, is it is readily available in annealed form, and is pretty simple to work and harden. I have made a number of blade tools that seem to me every bit is good as they blades that I have purchased. So...another possiblility (with the unlimited extra time that I am sure you have) is to make exactly what you want. I have been thinking about making a set of dovetail chisels, inspired by what I have seen here by Ron Brese and by David Weaver over on another forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Didn’t know they made O1. Thanks.
    Check your PM folder.

I'll vouch for Ashley Iles chisels, I have and like them very much. I had Chris Gochnour grab one of mine for quick class demo, after a full day of intermittent use, and when he returned it comment "that's really sharp". Given my pedestrian sharpening skills, I take that as a ringing endorsement of the chisel.

That said, there are other O1 and near-O1 / O1-like chisels that might have different balance and profiles which you prefer.

Pfeil Bevel Edge chisels are metric only, but I'm pretty sure I could be happy with them.

New Stanley Sweetheart 750 socket chisels, not sure they're O1 exactly, but they're within shouting distance, and many people like them. (Chris Gochnour's daily users are 750's, though I'm not sure if his are vintage or the new reissues.)

Woodriver socket chisels have fans. Again not sure they're exactly 01, Woodcraft says "100 CR-V" whatever that is, but they get good reviews putting their sharpening in the O1 class.

Narex aren't O1, though they are reasonably easy to sharpen, and their heat treat leaves them a little softer than the others. Premium & Classic are (seem to be) different handles on the same chisels. The Richter line is different steel, a little harder, a little more delicate, and very well reviewed. I'm pretty sure I would be happy with the Richter, but I had the Ashley Iles before they were released. Maybe neither of these are up to your standard, but should still be on your long list since you're teaching and beginners can be budget conscious.

I have the Richter's and they seem pretty good to me. I sharpen them with a medium diamond then, soft ark and hard black ark and both the arks seem to cut well.

Malcolm, if this is for your teaching class, I have a few vintage 750s and Buck Brothers I’d be happy to donate to that cause. PM me if interested.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Malcolm, if this is for your teaching class, I have a few vintage 750s and Buck Brothers I’d be happy to donate to that cause. PM me if interested.
    Thank you, Phil. That is very kind. This is for my own shop. I wouldn’t want the students destroying vintage chisels!

Just by coincidence, I am thinning out my tools in preparation for retirement and downsizing in a few years, and today placed this set of vintage Stanley #750 chisels on the Australian forum for sale. No, I am not suggesting anyone here purchase these - the shipping would be prohibitive. I am curious, however, how they are viewed and what reaction I might expect (as I am biased, of course) - run-of-the-mill or special?

There are 7 chisels ranging from 1/8” through 1”. All the blades were machined by myself to have minimal lands. Here, the Lie Nielsen were my model (ironically, since LN are modeled on the Stanley #750). The handles are West Australian She-oak, which is very hard. They are modeled on the Blue Spruce, but elongated to balance the extra weight of the sockets (which they do, wonderfully). They come in the box ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

The lacy figure on the (I believe) 1/4" handle is just exceptional. Was thinking how beautiful it would look on a chefs knife.
    I bet you'll have a hard time letting them go.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    ... I am curious, however, how they are viewed and what reaction I might expect (as I am biased, of course) - run-of-the-mill or special? ...
    I'd go with special

I can't suggest a value as I'm continually surprised by selling prices. But since Jim Bode regularly get $195 for lightly used sets of the new 750's, (even though they show up for $160 new on Amazon!,) I would think that is an absolute baseline and would guess $400 or more for nicely upgraded vintage models would be very reasonable.

Derek,

I think David is on to something. Patrick Leach usually offers these individually at $50-100 depending on size. And your’s are MUCH nicer than those he sells. I don’t know what the market is in Australia, but I’d go at least US $400.