Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saw sled, oh popsicle, I bought a Kapex

saw sled, oh popsicle, I bought a Kapex

I went down to my local wood place this morning, 45 minute drive each way so not really local but its the closest, I decided I was going to build a saw sled this 3 day weekend. I got 5x5 3/4" Baltic birch, t-tracks, t-track top, flip stops and as I was paying for it all, I joked next thing I wanted was a Festool Kapex. I have gone several decades with a RIGID sliding chop saw that is +/- a few degrees on every stop and not very repeatable so I just use it for construction work where its "close enough". Well the lady behind the counter said "We have one Kapex left, won't be getting any more for a few months". I walked out with a Kapex (the new improved one) but on the way home, I started thinking. The Kapex can do all the different angles accurately and more importantly cut 90degree on the smaller pieces, why do I need to built a sled ? I was building a sled to cut ends at 90degree since the SawStop mitre gauge is junk, but also just to have something that is for sure 90degrees, I can do that with a Osborne mitre gauge.

If you had a Kapex would you still build a sled for your table saw ?

I have a Kapex and a SawStop, build the sled. A well made sled will be more accurate and repeatable then the Kapex for furniture work. The Kapex is the most accurate and repeatable chop saw I have personally ever used, but it’s not on the same level as a sled.

If the question is which is more accurate it would be a well made sled. If the question is will the Kapex be good enough for what you do, only you can answer that.

I don't think a Kapex will entirely replace a sled. A kapex is accurate, but a sled can be built even more accurate, especially for repeat work. The wider the work piece you're cutting, the more true this becomes. A sled can be built to accommodate panels 20"+, and a sled is much better for small, delicate pieces in my opinion, because you have more control. A kapex is still just a miter saw and has it's limitations. Just cause it's green doesn't mean it's magical

Just build a big sled beyond the capacity of the Kapex. Put it aside for later when you need to cut something bigger.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Kapex or any other miter saw isn't going to be the tool to use for small parts and certain repetitive things...build the sled. Enjoy it and the Kepex for what they each do the best.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ok guess I am building a sled this weekend . Thanks I guess I needed some fresh thinking

How would you do this on the Kapex?

John

Blog Entries
    Yep, build the sled. Folks have made the Kapex work for them but there plenty of posts where they fell short of expectation. Its a fine saw but people seem to unfairly expect it to be something it isn't. Use as intended ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've a Kapex with extension wings and a slider, both get used equally for different things. Trying to trim out doors and windows would be difficult to say the least w/o my Kapex.

Let’s for discussions sake say I have to cut 50 pieces 4in long out of 4ft lengths of nice straight smooth 1x4. I properly set up my Kapex with a solid stop and start cutting. Then I go to my table saw and repeat the operation. Leaving aside the issue of speed, it seems from what is being said here that the TS sled is going to be more accurate. Really? Outside of operator sloppiness how can there be any difference in accuracy? Are there any studies that verify this?
    But Truly if operator error is a major factor then perhaps a TS sled will yield more consistent cuts. But has this been proven or are we just speaking from experience and anecdotal stories we keep repeating?
    Last edited by Bernie Kopfer; 02-13-2021 at 11:42 AM.

woah...I didn't mean to imply I was getting rid of the table saw. I cut my sheet goods with a track saw and then sneak up on final dimensions on my table saw. I was not thinking a larger sled like the picture up above, something about 30x30 with the blade offset a little, about 10" so I can have about 20" to one side. My thought was the table saw sled was to make accurate 90degree cuts and more or less for smaller pieces that are hard to keep moving smoothly with a mitre gauge. But as to the point of the last poster above, if I have 4' length of 1x4 that I need to cut at 90, is exactly what I bought the Kapex for. My sled would not have 4ft' to the side of the blade to put a flip stop on, but the Kapex will have about 6 1/2ft. to one side and 3ft. to the other side, still deciding on that but 11'4" is my max wall space with the saw taking 24" of that, I could put the saw all the way over and get 8' of fence on one side but almost no fence on other side, also thinking of just putting it in the middle (the whole thing will be on wheels). It is my hope and belief that in this exact case, the Kapex will be as accurate as the table saw, maybe not more accurate, but NOT less accurate. Ok, I have googled enough sleds to have a idea what I want, out to the shop I go.

If cutting the 50 pieces, I would use the tablesaw with sled every time. Even if accuracy is the same, it will be faster and I’m not start/stopping a miter saw motor 50 times.

If I was doing 8-10 cuts, I may do miter saw, just depends.

Edit: I just re-read the above posts and it excluded speed. Assuming the TS sled is built correctly, I think there is more potential for error with a mitersaw assuming it is set up correctly. I think the miter saw can be more influenced by the operator than the TS method in regards to angle of cut. I think this would be a very small amount of influence so the end result may be that both are perfectly acceptable methods.
    Last edited by Michael W. Clark; 02-13-2021 at 12:26 PM.

I built that large sled when I built my new kitchen almost 30 years ago. I needed one that large to square large cabinet sides and doors. It's as accurate today as when I built it. Yes, it's big, but handles almost any project need that comes along. Once it's on the saw its weight is irrelevant. I have a couple of smaller ones for other tasks, but this is the one that gets the most use.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    How would you do this on the Kapex?

John
    how you gonna cut a compound miter on that , for say - the crown on a bookcase ?

Angle the board on the sled and tilt the blade. Probably use a different sled so you don’t mess up the zero clearance when blade is 90.

Could also use a miter gauge with the blade tilted?

For one book case, I would probably use a miter saw since I don’t have a sled made for a compound miter and I’m more used to the miter saw for that. If doing a lot of crown for furniture, may be best to have a sled?

I don’t think it is either/or, best scenario is to have options that way you can use the one that you prefer.