Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cnc machines for newbies

I have a Shapeoko 3 XXL with the Carbide 3D router. It's been fine for what I've been doing with it. I upgraded the Z axis from the standard old Z to the HDZ, I dumped Carbide Create software and bought Vectric's VCarve Pro (way better software). If you're looking to get started with CNC, then I'd recommend either the Shapeoko Pro or the Onefinity. The thing I will tell you up front? Be ready to "tinker". These entry level CNC's are made to get your "started" and it's like anything woodworking related.....it is where the money spending "starts".

If you're looking for small things to do with CNC...then these are fine. I did buy a Chinese VFD with a 2.2KW liquid cooled spindle to put on mine, I just haven't gotten that far with it yet. If you are looking to do small intricate things like engraving, cutting small objects, then laser is the way to go.

When you buy hobby CNC setups...it's easy to sneak up on $6K in your spending trying to get it where you want it.
    I get frustrated with mine because I tend to buy machines for my woodworking and I expect them to "get to work". Well, that was what I was expecting with the SO3XXL but I spent so much time tinkering and fidgeting with it until I got frustrated and let it be until I learned more about why it needed so much tinkering and such. The key to working with a hobby cnc setup is to not have great expectations and never push the machine very hard or it will skip steps during the machining process and really hose you up! The other issue that most have is static that causes the USB interface to crash or stop working in the middle of your work.

Sorry, not dumping on you here, but trying to tell you what all I've dealt with, had to do, and what I spent money on to just "get started". Yet one more expensive lesson that I had to learn on my own....because I didn't have $25K to drop on the CNC that I really wanted to begin with.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I’m a retired hobbyist that doesn’t often use his cnc to make money, I mostly play.
    The main spindle motivator for me as a hobbyist working in my suburban garage shop was noise. I don’t do a lot of flat panel cutting, i.e. X/Y routing. I do a fair amount of X/Y/Z 2.5D work where finish cuts are light, and tool step-over’s are small. Some of the finish cuts can take several hours. The thought of listening to a conventional router for hours at a time is not something I wanted to do.
    If you see yourself doing very much “playing” you should strongly consider the spindle.
    JMHO
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Being that I have to have financing options the long mill is out...... xcarve and shapeoko offer financing. I like the shapeoko over the xcarve. Should be ordering the shapeoko xxl next month. Cant wait
    "To me, there's nothing freer than a bird, you know, just flying wherever he wants to go. And, I don't know, that's what this country is all about, being free. I think everyone wants to be a free bird." - Ronnie Van Zant

If you have static electricity issues, make sure you have a ground wire connected to Everything!

USB problems? The USB ports in Windows 10 are set by default to go to Sleep. Goto Device Manager, anything USB, Properties and Power set them all to Never. You might have to do a Search for Device Manager they have it hidden.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    If you have static electricity issues, make sure you have a ground wire connected to Everything!

USB problems? The USB ports in Windows 10 are set by default to go to Sleep. Goto Device Manager, anything USB, Properties and Power set them all to Never. You might have to do a Search for Device Manager they have it hidden.
    AGREE!
    There are/were 2 main issues with Shapeoko that I can verify because I have one.....
    1) The Z axis - get the Shapeoko Pro or by the HDZ to avoid all the known issues with losing Z steps and
    2) Take every precaution to help reduce the static charge issues.

The remaining issue for the Carbide 3D setup? The software. There is a reason why it's free. There are much better choices for your design and tool path generation software that are far better than Carbide Create. While CC is a great s/w to start with to learn the "ropes" with your new CNC setup, you'll quickly outgrow its ability. The 2 most popular choices are CarveCo Maker and VCarve Desktop/Pro. CarveCo is subscription based while VCarve is a buy it and use it without further fees.
    There are free options but there are rumors that those too, will become subscription based options later down the road because of the potential for generating "revenue" for the developers/companies that put them out there....like Autodesk.

The first thing to decide on is how much are you willing to spend to begin with? Then add 20% to that for additional bits, clamps, fixtures, accessories and etc.
    Then decide what you will use your CNC setup for. What are you planning on doing with it? What materials are you going to cut? What is the largest size you'll want to cut with it?
    Think strongly about dust collection for your CNC setup. Dust collection aids in generating more static charge...so that's an issue as well.

Holler at me if you have more questions. I'm more than happy to help you "be informed" and I promise to be as objective as I possibly can.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    All true, Ron, although adding the spindle later isn't a plug and play thing...hardware and software is involved to get it fully integrated. But unless you're going to be doing heavy production cutting, you'll be fine with the red triplet in that X3!
    You can add a spindle very easy on the smaller units but you will have to adjust the speed with the VFD not much harder then using a router.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    You can add a spindle very easy on the smaller units but you will have to adjust the speed with the VFD not much harder then using a router.
    Yes, that's kinda my point. Sometimes just a few RPM can make a difference in the cut. Having the speed control in the software is a bit more convenient but requires more integration work. But just to use a spindle, you can absolutely use the VDF directly to vary the speed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, that's kinda my point. Sometimes just a few RPM can make a difference in the cut. Having the speed control in the software is a bit more convenient but requires more integration work. But just to use a spindle, you can absolutely use the VDF directly to vary the speed.
    Isn't that how Camaster handles the small spindles on there desktops just use the VFD to adjust

Isn't that how Camaster handles the small spindles on there desktops just use the VFD to adjust
    That’s how mine’s set up. I prefer the direct control that allows me to adjust the rpm on the fly. I believe (could be wrong) that it is an option/upgrade on the newer desktop Stingers.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Control is in WinCNC when you buy a spindle for any of the Stinger machines, both the Stinger I "desktops" and the Stinger II and III machines. Each spindle option includes the necessary licensing and other accommodations to provide that feature in addition to the HST spindle of choice. The integration pieces account for part of the spindle option costs.
    --

Control is in WinCNC when you buy a spindle for any of the Stinger machines, both the Stinger I "desktops" and the Stinger II and III machines. Each spindle option includes the necessary licensing and other accommodations to provide that feature in addition to the HST spindle of choice. The integration pieces account for part of the spindle option costs.
    That was not how it was when I was looking at them

If you look at the options document for any of the Stinger machines and ready the description of each of the spindle choices, WinCNC control is mentioned. See page three:

https://www.camaster.com/wp-content/...tions-List.pdf
    --

I see that now but that is not how it was. That was not an option when I was looking. I started out with a route then I went to a spindle that I had to adjust with the VFD and you could do that on the fly while cutting not hard to do.

How long ago were you shopping, Jerome? I started shopping in late 2017 and bought in early 2018. All the options are worded the same at that point...I still have the options document that was current at that time. No matter, one can certainly control a spindle from a VFD if need be for sure.
    --

It's been about 10 years ago