Thread: Epilog Radius Conversion- The FRANKENCUTTER

Epilog Radius Conversion- The FRANKENCUTTER

Well I finally did it. I converted an ancient Radius 25watt into a GLASS TUBE 80Watt monster for under $500!

I know this is probably blasphemy to you Epilog purists, but this machine is so old and unsupported I couldn't justify dumping $2000-$4000 on a recharged/replaced Coherent Tube. Don't get me wrong, I know Coherent lasers are a far superior design, its just I needed more power and spending so much on a machine already past it's prime would have been silly.

This machine was donated to me with a spent tube but everything else was solid and running great! And so over the past few months I've had a fun little project to work on.

Also, since I already own and run another glass tube machine, I figured I'd but the same parts it uses, so if the experiment failed I'd at least have back up parts for my other machine. Turns out it worked great! I kept as much of the original machine intact as possible. Even using the same controller and motors.

Apparently the Epilog/Synrad BNC outputs a simple analog 6V DC signal you can just tie directly to the HI-trigger of the PSU. Power currently is handled by a seperate POT, but I'm working on a way to use the BNC to drive that as well from the driver or front panel.

LIST OF MODIFICATIONS:
    1. 80watt Glass Tube Laser
    2. Adjustable Tube Brackets
    3. HV PSU
    4. Amp Meter
    5. Power Control POT
    6. Water Cooling System
    7. Air Assist
    8. APC Si Mirrors
    9. Internally mounted Exhaust Fan (repurposed from one of the Coherent cooling fans)
    10. In-Line Laser Dot (In Progress)
    11. USB->Centronic printer cable
    12. Windows 10 32bit, Corel Draw 12

laser1.jpglaser2.jpglaser3.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Carambat; 02-12-2021 at 2:23 PM.