Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your other hobbies besides Woodworking?

My other hobby used to be golfing, until we moved to the coast in Oregon, I hate golfing in the rain. Before that, when I was a lot younger I used to dirt bike in the desserts of So. Cal. My WWing has slowed down, 2 or 3 hours on the days I choose to do it.
    Assumption is the mother of all screw ups
    Anonyms

Since I broke my back in 2001, my hobbies have changed a lot! 9 years later when the Meniere's disease set in leaving me deaf and with poor balance it changed my hobbies even more.

Before breaking my back I was a serious elk hunter which amounts to a lot of up/down hiking in central Idaho's dense brushy mountains with 5 other guys. We drove into camp atop the mountain (the elk were in the bottom 2,000' in elevation below), used horses and mules for packing and hunted on foot.

For about 10 years my wife and I down hill skied seriously. Frankly it became all encompassing forcing me to do all the scheduled maintenance in the hospitals before Friday night so I could tune and wax skis and then ski Saturday and Sunday. After I broke my back we gave it up. No, I broke my back jumping the fence into my backyard.

Raised in CO, WY, UT and southern IL, I have hunted and fished starting at age 9 with my father. My balance issues have presented some problems so my hunting days are over and what little time I fish today, it is with my youngest grandkids in some pretty timid lakes.

We love to travel. Have been blessed to travel internationally a limited amount. I love to photograph our travels so I carry a DSLR camera with multiple lens.

Most recently we have been hosting our 3 youngest grandkids for summers here in Idaho so we have scheduled tours of some of the national parks with them. 2 years ago it was Yellowstone. Last year it was Moab for Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. We have another trip planned with them this summer. Family responsibilities keep up busy too as we have 3 kids spread from WA, AZ to CA, grandkids from as far east as IN, KS to AZ, CA, to WA and great-grandkids in the previously listed areas.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What defines a hobby, something you do regularly. But is it every day, every week, every month, every few months?
    I bounce between hobby interests - maybe focus on one for weeks or months then change for a while, some are seasonal, I enjoy some almost every day

Besides woodworking (mostly woodturning, some carving), I enjoy, in no particular order:
    Metalworking, both welding/fab and machining.
    Beekeeping
    Incubating and raising Peafowl and guinea fowl (sell a few but it's still a hobby)
    Sawmilling for fun and farm
    4-wheeling and e-biking on my trails
    Moving dirt and clearing brush (fun and satisfying - with tractor, bobcat, and excavator)
    Toolmaking
    Helping anyone who needs help or wants to learn something (my wife says I'll drop everything for this)
    Gardening - 50x150 plot plus orchard, blueberries, more
    Piano playing, mostly improv (plus guitar, a little harmonica, trumpet, learning violin)
    Drawing (pencil, pen&ink)
    Electronics design and repair
    3D modeling and printing
    Target and varmint shooting
    Collecting guns
    Surf fishing on the Outer Banks
    Teaching woodturning and other things (never for pay, so must be a hobby)
    Teaching kindergartner SS
    Photography of everything (75,000+ photos on my drives)
    Videography and editing
    Photo/Video from drones
    Astronomy, especially photographing comets
    Exercising and riding horses
    Herding llamas
    Slow, easy kayaking on local rivers
    Hiking in the mountains
    Reading - howto, science, and SciFi
    Traveling (mostly around Europe - but not this past year!!)
    Answering questions on forums

Retired hobbies:
    Whitewater kayaking, the wilder the better
    Writing poetry
    Dirt bike racing
    Scuba and cave diving
    Underwater photography
    Darkroom photography (obviously)
    Flying private aircraft

JKJ

John,

They do a bit of whitewater kayaking in our neck of the woods.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I've acquired a number of telescopes in size from 70mm-90mm refractors, a few Meade ETX models, and several Dobsonian reflectors in sizes from a 4.25" mirror, to my Bertha Butt a 1994 Coulter 13.1" Dob.
    36829615_10216576171582298_5978470093779107840_n.jpg

Another hobby is the motorized bicycles I built. $200 for a motor kit, and slap it on the bike, with a decent amount of mechanical knowledge.
    This is my cruiser. I put a BBR 80ccc motor on a 26" Giant Suede forward-pedal frame. Smooth riding bike.
    20201005_143154.jpg

This is the HotRod bike. An 80cc Ridgeview on a 26" aluminum frame IronHorse. It'll get up and go. Lots of fun.
    20201111_124850.jpg

And last Nov. I bought an Ender 3 Pro 3D printer. Having a lot of fun with it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

My hobbies have changed since I have some serious back problems. I still enjoy woodworking but smaller projects.

I am currently scanning an extensive library of slides and prints so I can leave my kids an organized history of the family.

I got a cheap 3d printer and learning to use it and model things.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 02-12-2021 at 8:06 PM.

Geez, and I thought WW, cooking and fishing were the only hobbies!

Cooking is about the most serious "other hobby", albeit it's kinda my household job. I also dabble in photography a little and am an avid fiction reader, fully getting the value from a Kindle Unlimited subscription.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Reading internet forums about wood working?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fox View Post
    What do you all do for fun besides WW?
    Gardening, restoring vintage sports cars, mathematics, and research cosmology. Although my wife would tell you it’s mainly real estate and home renovation. :^)

My hobbies today revolve around woodworking. I love scrollsawing and have been doing it for over 35 years. I expanded that into turning and mainly doing pens, and other small items like ornaments and things of this nature. The next hobby I am wanting to do is model railroad and train made from wood. Thus my attempts to buy Byrnes mini tablesaw and mini thickness drum sander. I have set up a rolling work bench equiped with the tools and a Festool shop vac so that I can do just about anywhere I want. Hopefully by end of the year I will start that up. I still have some interior house work to get done this year so that will take up my summer.
    John T.

Collecting woodworking tools I "really need" even if I have no idea when I'll actually use them to build something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Cooking is about the most serious "other hobby", albeit it's kinda my household job. I also dabble in photography a little and am an avid fiction reader, fully getting the value from a Kindle Unlimited subscription.
    I dabble in cooking but it's not even a casual hobby let alone a serious one. The live-in world internationally known chef has things well under control! On one of those rare times I'm actually in the house she occasionally lets me peel or zest or chop or stir but usually it's "don't you have something important to do ouside?"

Her other main activity in life is reading. A few years ago she started keeping a diary of every book she read over the year along with impressions, comments, rating.

JKJ

Used to do beekeeping. When I got to fifty hives, I knew it wasn't a hobby any more. Since retiring, home repair, and cooking are my main hobbies. I enjoy cooking for others, but since Covid, that has been curtailed. Work with a ministry at state fair, which ministers to the fair workers. Even though fair is only two weeks, it takes us a couple months to set up, break down, and store items. We don't do the actual ministry. Instead we furnish ground support. Day before fair opens, friend and I furnish and cook a BBQ for 400 (no cost to workers who attend.) Just giving back some of what has been given to us. We furnish laundry, ice maker, fridge, and water heater, including buildings to house them, along with decking, sinks, tents, stoves, and anything else that's needed. Some how, if it's needed, God shows me where it's available. Do a meals and birthday ministry with several widows in our SS Class. Also do gardening, including rooting Azealas and other shrubs. Seems I'm always helping neighbors. So much so that one referred to me as "the mayor." Another calls me "Dr Bruce." If it's broke, most likely I can fix it. Do repairs for small church next door.

For years I couldn’t stand anything about gardening. Then I heard Andre Viette on the radio . He preached beauty ...not digging. I’m mainly
    interested in trees . My four favorites are Japanese Umbrella Pine , European Weeping Beech, Stewartia pseudo-camellia ,and Blue Atlas Cedar.
    Interested in sundials and noon marks. I’ve written a paper about a noon mark- monument. Interesting how something that was known to
    all eventually turned into just being a monument. I’m bringing back the news that ...it still works! Paper just needs a bit of info from the
    designer’s drawings and notes; but the college that owns them won’t let me in until the plague cools down.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 02-12-2021 at 11:12 PM.