Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: What are your other hobbies besides Woodworking?

well laser engraving is my main hobby that incorporates some woodworking. Leather work which I laser engrave . Photography with my drone and flying the drone of course and Motorcycling, also my volunteer work with the PGR.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    well laser engraving is my main hobby that incorporates some woodworking. Leather work which I laser engrave . Photography with my drone and flying the drone of course and Motorcycling, also my volunteer work with the PGR.
    What is PGR?

Google's suggestions for PGR are below. Most of the results are for Plant Growth Regulator and its use in growing weed, but I guess we'll have to wait for Bert to tell us what his means. Personally, I'm rooting for Paranormal Ghost Research!

Acronym Definition
    PGR Procuraduría General de la República (Mexico)
    PGR Project Gotham Racing (game)
    PGR Patriot Guard Riders (national motorcycle group based in Centennial, CO)
    PGR Procuradoria-Geral da República (Portugal)
    PGR Pager
    PGR Population Growth Rate
    PGR Postgraduate Research
    PGR Post Grant Review (USPTO)
    PGR Progesterone Receptor
    PGR Private Game Reserve (South Africa)
    PGR Plant Growth Regulator
    PGR Plant Genetic Resources
    PGR Presentation Graphics Routines
    PGR Post Goods Receipt (shipments)
    PGR Post-Glacial Rebound
    PGR Per Grazia Ricevuta (Italian band))
    PGR Progressive Rail
    PGR Pretty Good Records (Christian record label)
    PGR Progressive Insurance Company (stock symbol)
    PGR Parent Governor Representative (UK education)
    PGR Parental Guidance Recommended
    PGR Post Game Report (podcast)
    PGR Perpetuity Growth Rate
    PGR Post Glover Resistors, Inc. (Erlanger, KY)
    PGR Paranormal Ghost Research (Indiana)
    PGR Pure Gum Rubber
    PGR Psychogalvanic Reflex/Response
    PGR Pinnacle Global Resources, Inc (San Antonio, TX)

Blog Entries
    I am rebuilding a Harley FLSTC. I have built countless hot rods from VW to V8 and always have some noise making contraption in the works. I am an avid photographer since film days and even dabbled in it professionally. I scuba dive, free dive, sail, surf... anything on the water. Most recently I have rediscovered my art, and am really enjoying it.

A3040CC3-69CD-47E4-8FE9-6AE8D3259245.jpg 1109E812-B365-498E-B600-F4E30B0723EF.jpg 788B45BC-47AD-4668-A545-72BD74468106.jpg 3B3FCC18-76FF-4B69-8585-DC0BF0CC8EA8.jpg

Beautiful work Malcolm!
    There are some folks here with impressive skills and accomplishments.

I’ve been an avid sailor since I was a kid. Maintaining my 80’s vintage sailboat is was got me into woodworking as I built a couple dinghies and made various “ improvements “ and repairs. I also like to garden, ride my bicycle , cross country ski and collect records and listen to music. I enjoy collecting single malt whisky. I used to study and later teach karate but gave that up after an injury forced the issue.
    Although it’s still woodworking, I recently started wood turning and have really enjoyed that as I peer over the edge of what appears to be a pretty deep wormhole. Luckily, my woodworking club has lathes and equipment so I can avoid a big upfront expense.

He rides motorcycles so PGR is Patriot Guard Riders.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I have a smoker and often make bacon,hams,sausages, pastrami and more.I have a dry curing setup and make salamis and dried beef (bresaola). My two Beagles get me out walking 2 or 3 times a day so all in all I keep out of trouble

Way to go Mike, we need more beekeepers! I raise bumblebees and mason bees in my gardens.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Linge View Post
    Way to go Mike, we need more beekeepers! I raise bumblebees and mason bees in my gardens.
    I made some beehives for a customer and he is ordering more. I guess he liked them. It sounds like a fun hobby.
    A87F3CD5-F56B-496A-B7F7-ABBA32A72229.jpg

beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I made some beehives for a customer and he is ordering more. I guess he liked them. It sounds like a fun hobby.
    A87F3CD5-F56B-496A-B7F7-ABBA32A72229.jpg
    Hey, I'd buy hives bodies from you! Do you deliver?

It's a great hobby and can be very satisfying to the soul. However, it can be a lot of work and heart and pocketbook breaking when you lose a hives. I lost one last year but the remaining three seem to be strong at the moment. They all still have plenty of honey from last year so maybe they'll make it. I got started with beekeeping when we moved to this place in '04 and found there were NO honeybees pollinating our garden.

Besides the initial investment in the hive bodies and the bees, you need protective clothing, some special tools, and a good education on how to inspect and what to do when. For example, colonies must be medicated a couple of times a year to treat for mites and other parasites.

If you do it for the honey, beekeeping can turn in to a job if you're not careful. I mostly just give and sell honey to acquaintances and sometimes accidentally make a thousand or two but some people I know are serious about it and have a LOT of hives. That turns in to a full-time job more than one person, at least for part of the year. One guy I know probably has $20k in extractors, tanks, trailers to move hives, and other equipment.

Done in moderation, it can be a lot of fun. I especially like sharing the fun with others. I keep spare bee suits and (when pandemic free!) have teens and even families "help" which gives them a chance to see the inside of a hive for the first time. Sometimes new beekeepers come to learn things, such as how to extract the honey from the hive I even have bee suits that fit little kids.

alex_beehives_small.jpg

bee_suit.jpg jakes_girls.jpg

JKJ

Nice job on those hive boxes, Malcomb. Your customer's honey bee colonies will be living in style for sure!

Professor Dr. SWMBO has been a beek for about five years now, although she was less active this past season due to distractions. We are currently trying to determine how much will go with us to the new property, but will be evaluating that more closely as the weather turns nicer and we see how many of our 8 colonies survived the winter.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Nice job on those hive boxes, Malcomb. Your customer's honey bee colonies will be living in style for sure!

Professor Dr. SWMBO has been a beek for about five years now, although she was less active this past season due to distractions. We are currently trying to determine how much will go with us to the new property, but will be evaluating that more closely as the weather turns nicer and we see how many of our 8 colonies survived the winter.
    Hey, if you move and decide to not take them all let me know, I might be interested. It would be a bit of a drive but, hey, I could finally visit! (With appropriate precautions, of course!)

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Hey, if you move and decide to not take them all let me know, I might be interested. It would be a bit of a drive but, hey, I could finally visit! (With appropriate precautions, of course!)
    I will let The Professor know...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Gardening and Grafting.
    "The key to a long life is when you start to die, don't"

Quote Originally Posted by David Lageman View Post
    Oddly the hobby I was heavily involved with until recently, saltwater aquaria, is what brought me back to this hobby. I built the stand for my system and it re-lit the woodworking bug. Ended up building several tank stands for friends. An example of mine right after finishing it and adding water.

Attachment 452941
    That's not so much a "stand" as an installation! Very nice. Lots of room for storage and such, I suspect.

JKJ