Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What are your other hobbies besides Woodworking?

This last year and a half has been dedicated to bird dog training.
    I have been blessed with one of those once in a lifetime bird dogs, for the second time in my life. He's impressive, so we're going to see what he can really do.
    I wish I could say that I was good enough to compliment him, but that would be a lie. We're going to fix that though in the next few months.
    For many years I was a very high level bicycle racer, but two knee, and shoulder, surgeries have put those days well behind me. I miss those days. I love working with this current dog though!!
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

D115AB16-4735-41E9-9B1D-63C59EE4E669.jpeg

Sailing my Marshall Sanderling Catboat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    This last year and a half has been dedicated to bird dog training.
    Nice!

I had a "hunting" dog once, when I was maybe 14 or 15. I named him Nimrod, the mighty hunter. I'd take him rabbit hunting. I'd see the tracks in the snow and even see the rabbit and the dog couldn't find it. . Wait, was I supposed to train first?

We have a young friend who works with our horses, llamas, and other critters, seriously the best with animals I've ever known. She told me today she has been working every Sun afternoon with an organization that trains attack dogs. She wears a padded jacket and the dogs are trained to grab and hold the arm (and release) on command. She said she'd send me a video of her and a dog in action. Evidently the training is a very serious effort.

JKJ

Was an avid motorcyclist for 40+ years, but "retired" due to substantial injuries incurred on one bad day.

Sometimes (more rarely than previously), I write things. Both of the above pursuits occasionally paid actual money.

My sweetie likes to garden. I support that ambition with trellises, holes, raised beds, fencing, etc. I also sharpen, oil, and generally maintain her "armory." We work on the house, trying to enhance our little nest.

Speaking of armories, I shoot a little. It interests me less than it did, but I get to the range once in a while.

We keep a couple of dogs around. I keep an old Willys Jeep parked out back; getting it going a few times a year may constitute a hobby.

Was weightlifting and playing pickle ball quite regularly, pre-pandemic. Now I have a bench in the corner of the shop.

I fish a little, not avidly but as an excuse to hang out with my oldest buddy (50+ years), and polish up our lies.

Are any of these "hobbies?" I dunno. I think they might just be called "living."
    --Jack S. Llewyllson

Gratitude is a gift to yourself.

Purity tests are the bane of human existence.

Codeine takes the pain from every muscle but the heart.

I like playing golf all year around. My wife and I like doing Thrift Stores and some antiques. Use to do some shooting until it got to expensive.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen L King View Post
    I enjoy fishing and hunting with the grandkids.....
    And that in addition to all the books you write. Oh, horrors, my mistake. That's Stephen E King... (I suspect you get that all the time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    ...Use to do some shooting until it got to expensive.
    I wish the guy across the ridge would decide that. He's up for shooting any time of the day or night - shots at 1 or 2am, I know who's shooting.
    From the sound, sometimes shotguns, handguns, muzzle-loader, high power rifles. Never a dinky 22. Sometimes it's a fully automatic rifle with a big magazine- bambambambambambam... How does anyone afford that much ammo?

I do a fair amount of shooting but primarily at varmints, coyotes, and to encourage stray dogs to go play in someone elses pastures.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Nice!

I had a "hunting" dog once, when I was maybe 14 or 15. I named him Nimrod, the mighty hunter. I'd take him rabbit hunting. I'd see the tracks in the snow and even see the rabbit and the dog couldn't find it. . Wait, was I supposed to train first?

JKJ

Nimrod. What a great name!
    Nope, you never "train a dog to hunt", so no worries there. It was either born to hunt, or it wasn't. You just condition them to include you in the process.
    This current boy is another Vizsla. He hunts like a machine, but someone forgot to tell him he's supposed to be a "Velcro dog". He's fast! He ran down two flying pheasants this past fall!

I don't know where you're neighbor is getting all of the ammo to be shooting off. Ammo, of just about any type,and all reloading supplies are getting more and more scarce. Have been for the last year.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    I don't know where you're neighbor is getting all of the ammo to be shooting off. Ammo, of just about any type,and all reloading supplies are getting more and more scarce. Have been for the last year.
    Maybe he has a bunker full of ammo and is not smart enough to think about replacing it. This guy has repeatedly demonstrated his position on the steep downhill slope of the lower half of the IQ bell curve. Like the time he shot his neighbor's cow for target practice. Like the time he stole someone's pony for a present for his girlfriend's little girl. Fortunately, although I can hear him shoot, he's a long way over the ridge from us.

When I was a kid we had a cat that was a much better hunter. Going out the front door to catch the school bus I always had to step over something - numerous rabbits and squirrels, the typical mice, moles and chipmonks, I remember a snake, a small possum. One time he brought us a full-sized ringnecked pheasant. Gracious. I'm glad he was friendly to us kids.

Blog Entries
    I guess I'm like my father. I am a collector of skills. I find some skill that looks interesting and try to learn it. Many times, once if figure it out, I move on. I generally keep the tools necessary but not always. My dad was much worse in that the skills he pursued took up space and storage. I try to suppress the pack-rat urge.

My only recreational hobby is trail riding in the mountains of West Virginia these days. I have been riding for five years, 2021 will by my sixth year.
    I was able to re-unite with an old friend that I have known for 50 years when we started riding together in 2016. Occasionally we ride with large groups but the majority of the time its just the two of us. Due to the pandemic I only rode one time last year but I plan to break my record this year making every effort to spend as much time in the mountains as I can.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-22-2021 at 11:27 AM.

-Shooting/reloading mostly pistol lately but some long range
    -Fountain pens
    -photography(wish i had more time for this one)

With kids and work dont really have time for any of them.

Photography and reading

I really like and practice both, Nature Photography (landscape and wildlife) and reading (I love History and Sci Fiction).

...besides Woodworking, of course!

All the best.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

My buddy had one of those kits. Didn't have much luck with it. Then again he's always messing with things

Oddly the hobby I was heavily involved with until recently, saltwater aquaria, is what brought me back to this hobby. I built the stand for my system and it re-lit the woodworking bug. Ended up building several tank stands for friends. An example of mine right after finishing it and adding water.

DSC_0372 (1024x685).jpg