Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Half Blind mitered dovetail hallway table

Half Blind mitered dovetail hallway table

This is a pair of tables inspired by a table showcased in Fine Woodworking by Michael Fortune. The subject of mitered dovetails was raised in another thread on the forum which prompted me to share this project.

I love waterfall tables, and I also love the dovetail joint. However the inclusion of a conventional through dovetail joint in a waterfall table is upsetting (to me) because the end grain of the tails appearing on the top surface of the table is like inserting a visual dam in the waterfall. The solution is a half blind mitered dovetail joint which cleverly showcases dovetails without interrupting the grain flow of the waterfall edge. In fact, the angle of the exposed pin end grain on the side actually accentuates the waterfall flow of the grain.
    I did some mock up modeling on the smaller table and settled on a design concept of keeping one leg straight and curving the other which from some angles looks like twisting movement, like you might see in a Frank Gehry building.

The stepped drawers on the larger table were a little tricky, but the intention was to create a second horizontal waterfall where the spalted maple wraps around the drawer box onto the front.

The body of both pieces is made from American Walnut and the drawer fronts and partitions are made from Spalted Maple. The drawer boxes themselves are made from American Cherry. The drawer pulls were shop made from Walnut.
    The three drawers in the larger table are joined with hand cut dovetails. The drawer in the smaller table is joined with dowels

4Y1A9602-comp-v2sm.jpg4Y1A9664sm.jpg4Y1A9632sm.jpg4Y1A9639sm.jpg4Y1A9716sm.jpg
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 02-12-2021 at 10:37 AM.

A couple of additional images of the stepped drawers:

4Y1A9731sm.jpg4Y1A9652sm.jpg

Edwin, ABSOLUTELY beautiful, and this from a guy who tends to period furniture. Absolutely beautiful.
    I am not creative enough to have thought of it, but agree re the half blind dovetails to prevent the damming effect but also creating the splitting of water as it goes over the edge.
    Initially scratched my head re lower horizontal shelf/drawer base not being parallel with plane of drawer faces, but end up with a very nice and thoughtful design feature.

Two questions if i might: 1) how are the two outside end drawers guided? And 2) in last picture (of single drawer table) it looks like the upper vertical face of pull is higher (measures more) than bottom portion, which seems reverse of what i would have expected - expected to see inverted L shape like a waterfall - is this an illusion?

Again, beautifully designed and crafted piece, sir. With admiration, Patrick

I am guessing the outside of outer drawer is stationery (part of case) and it and drawer front are mitered at 45’s?

Love the tables Edwin. And the work / craftsmanship is top drawer. Everything from the waterfall to the steps to the pulls to the layout of the DT's is wonderful. Beautiful design.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

And the finish used is/was?

Thank you for sharing. Patrick

Good grief what symphony of complex joinery. Excellent craftsmanship excellent choice of wood arrangement.
    Thanks for sharing it with us Edwin
    Aj

Blog Entries
    How fun. A great looking and challenging pair. Wonderful craftsmanship and execution.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

That is perfect. I love pieces that I have to look at for a few minutes to really appreciate what's going on. The drawers and asymmetry of the top and shelf are unique enough. The mitered corner on the exposed drawer is tastefully thought out. But that corner joinery is really one for the books. It's impressive both for the subtlety of its design and its flawless execution. You do really nice work, Edwin.

Can you share a little bit about your 'through shelf' joinery?

Stunning. Nice photography skills too! Would love to see a pic with the drawers open. Love the design and the craftsmanship is fantastic. Very inspiring. Thanks for posting.

Masterly execution! Your skills are exemplary.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I think tonight I will go to my shop and just beat on my workboots with a mallet. Those are stunning.

Beautiful work, Edwin. As others have said; choice of wood, joinery, design are all stunning.

Like Prashun said. Just perfect.

I have some constructive comments, well not really.......when I looked at the pictures “WOW” came to mind. Love it.