Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rant; Ebay is sort of blocking my purchases

Rant; Ebay is sort of blocking my purchases

For the last six months ebay has forgotten my credit card info. For every purchase i have to type in the number, expiration date and code number. Not a huge deal. Well we moved and I told ebay and the credit card compnay. Now about 75% of the time ebay refuses to accept my card. Once it refuses for a seller it never lets me buy from them. i have to find a different seller who hopefully has the item.
    They say to reenter the info and try again, check with card company etc. I checked with the company and it is not on their end. Called ebay today and she tried. a few things no go. She put me on hold while she tries some higher ups to help. 2.5 hours on hold and nothing. I had to leave work and go home.
    No email no call back nothing.
    Should I cancel the card and wait a week or two to get a new one? We only have the one card since we dumped the extra never used cards. Kind of hard to have no working card so soon after buying a new house and needing to buy stuff for the house. No guarantee the new card will work any better. no other company has an issue with the card.
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-11-2021 at 10:29 PM.

Blog Entries
    Wow, that would be a real issue for me. I buy a lot on eBay. Do you use PayPal? Could this be on PayPal’s end?

Blog Entries
    I've only used PayPal on eBay, but I very rarely buy there anymore. For the last few years, when shopping for new product, I've always been able to find the item cheaper, with shipping included, from other sources. And don't get me started on eBay shipping. It seems the norm to charge 2x to 10x the actual shipping costs.

I buy a lot on eBay, mostly through PayPal though I have used a card too. If you don't have a PayPal account I would get one, they're very handy and don't cost you anything as a buyer.

I used to have a paypal credit card but then the changed the physical card so it looked the same as my go to card so I let that the paypal card lapse. They used to allow direct bank withdrawl but I do not see that option anymore.
    Bill D.

I've never had a PayPal card, but I have been using PayPal for about a decade. You can link your PayPal to your bank account so that if there is not money in your PayPal account you can draw it out of your checking account to pay instantly for purchases. I have a Visa debit card through my bank, and have never had a credit card of any kind.

When I use PayPal they always offer a menu of ways to pay: PayPal balance, credit card registered with them, or direct deduction from my checking account.

I don't buy much from eBay any more. I'd rather purchase from Amazon, even if it's a few dollars more, because I know Amazon will stand behind the purchase. Not true for most purchases from eBay.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I have my Paypal account linked to a small bank account. There is way too much corruption on ebay/paypal and I like knowing that no matter what, I can't lose more than is in my bank account. I don't buy much on ebay unless there is no other option.

I have two credit cards. My good one that gives me 2% back and no annual charge gets hacked about once a year and is unavailable until they send me a new card. Then I have the other one. I don't like being without one for a week.

I have always used PayPal. It's linked to both my credit card and bank account. The credit card is the primary source but having a verified bank account had some benefit as well but I don't recall what now. I've never used a credit card to buy on eBay and it's approaching 20 years since I first used it. I don't buy a lot of things from there. I just looked and I'm up to a huge 62. So maybe 4 times per year. But back to Bill's post just set PayPal up to use the credit card and forget the hassle with eBay rejecting it.

At one time, I found most items were the cheapest on ebay, now their is a host of on-line stores that are cheaper. However, when trying to purchase from over seas I run into all kinds of problems with pay pal. From out right rejection to suspending my account temporarily. I just ordered some items from India no problem. Items from Turkey, no problem, items from Greece, no way Jose. I have ordered from Germany, but suddenly many German sellers will not ship overseas. Almost every purchase over the last two years from over seas has had some problem or another.

When buying online I only use paypal. I have it linked to a checking account that normally has no more than $50 in it. It's not linked to a credit card. If linked to a credit card and your paypal account gets hacked they could run it to the limit on your credit card. The checking account I use for paypal is also in a different bank than my main bank so if hacked the most they could get would be the $50. Being over 65 the banks I use give me free banking so it costs me nothing to maintain that second bank account.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

When buying online I only use paypal. I have it linked to a checking account that normally has no more than $50 in it. It's not linked to a credit card. If linked to a credit card and your paypal account gets hacked they could run it to the limit on your credit card. /QUOTE]

It's unlikely that that would cause you a responsibility problem as the card issuer would not normally hold a cardholder liable for fraudulent use. Just the same, I only have one card linked to my PayPal but it's there so I can do a purchase that's more than any "cash" available in the bank account also tied to the payment system.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

So I applied for pay pal and was able to make several purchases. Now ebay has blocked that account as well. I guess i need to get a new credit card every few days? ebay claims they will call me once they have it figured out...Sure I believe them. They do not have a phone number, they call you.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Gibson View Post
    When buying online I only use paypal. I have it linked to a checking account that normally has no more than $50 in it. It's not linked to a credit card. If linked to a credit card and your paypal account gets hacked they could run it to the limit on your credit card. The checking account I use for paypal is also in a different bank than my main bank so if hacked the most they could get would be the $50. Being over 65 the banks I use give me free banking so it costs me nothing to maintain that second bank account.
    By Federal law, you are only liable for $50 of fraudulent use of your credit card - and most credit card companies won't even charge you that.

That's different for a Debit card. There's no limit to your loss on a debit card. So don't use a debit care - use a credit card.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-14-2021 at 2:09 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If I do a purchase that is more than the amount in the linked account. I just do an etransfer to myself from my main bank account and deposit it in the other banks account. Just saves me the hassle of dealing with a credit card company and having to prove fraud.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project