Thread: Japanese Saw for Timber Framing

Japanese Saw for Timber Framing

Does anyone have any first hand experience with some of the larger, more obscure Japanese saws for timber framing? I've got a Gyokucho 655 ryoba that has worked great for general construction but I've been toying with the idea of getting a larger saw for dealing with larger cutoffs, etc. that a ryoba won't do well with.

An outfit called the Shelter Institute who builds timber frame has a good video of them using a Silky Zorin 370 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I0qP3TaR0Y

Some say this saw is discontinued, but they appear to have some in stock.

I also came across a Willow Leaf Log Saw on the woodcraft site but they aren't in stock and may not be in the future https://www.woodcraft.com/products/1...-hikoza-hikoza

This past winter I have been using some of the folding pruning saws in the yard and I wonder if these would be an even better option. Something like the Silky Katanaboy or Big Boy 2000, etc. They come in a variety of tooth patterns and are easily available. Folding seems like a nice option for a job site as well.

Not sure what size to get - these saws go from 340mm up to 650mm. Any suggestions that I might have missed would be well appreciated.

Locally I came across an ad for the Makita 16" and 10 1/4" circular saws for a really reasonable price. I'm tempted (particularly with the 10 1/4) but I wonder how much use I would really get out of them since I don't do this professionally. I'm not planning on doing a full timber framed structure - more for architectural elements, perhaps a roof and/or pergola. I did find a good deal on a chain mortiser though, since I hate cutting mortises by hand.
    Last edited by Dean Arthur; 02-11-2021 at 5:51 PM.

Pruning saws are for green wood and might not track straight. The Zorin saw shown has a bent handle designed for use on low sawhorses (below knee level) and you can see in the demo he's forced to choke up on the grip.

I like to see handle slightly longer than the blades, so I can keep my hands apart for stability.

Check your PM.
    Last edited by Jim Matthews; 02-12-2021 at 9:22 AM.

PM sent for address confirmation.

Blog Entries
    I would love to hear what you decide on and how it works. I’ve used 16” circular saw on timber framing project- works great on saw horses but way too much for me up on a ladder.

Mike,

Jim and I worked out a fun little 'trade'. He sent down a Nakaya R-1900 he had laying around, an obscure saw that I suppose used to be around domestically but isn't any longer.

I've run across some articles of people using the Z-saw 333 for this application too if you're looking for something to try locally. Seems similar.

Once Jim pointed out the ergonomics of the Zorin saw I couldn't help but agree, it just didn't look comfortable.

I contacted woodcraft about the willow leaf log saw but they informed me they had no plans to get them again.