Thread: MFT style cutting table

Question MFT style cutting table

For those of you that have a “cutting table” of sorts to use with a track saw would it be a bad idea to incorporate into an assembly table? I finally received my Parf Drilling guide and plan on building a new assembly table. I’m having a hard time thinking about cutting into my new table top. I know I can make it replaceable or have a insert. Would I be better off with a separate table or (top on saw horses etc.) to cut into rather than my nice assembly table?

Thanks!
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

I made this MFT-style assembly table. The 1x2 meter Valchromat top was drilled using the Parf guide kit.

I included a sacrificial strip for the track saw. This is what the Valchromat top looked like before the final sanding and two coats of hard wax oil.

3. If you do what Mike did on that very nice top you would be fine. Before I got the slider I used my MFT to cut a lot, and not always at the same 90 degree spot. All of those cuts tear it up a lot and it isn't the same nice flat and smooth surface it was new. I do a lot of larger things so a dead flat table is a must and I built a 4x8 table just for that. Having that smooth flat surface is a must for me. I would say it just depends on what your are building and how much free space you need, and have.

Yes, I think it can be incorporated just fine and as Mike's photos show, incorporating a replaceable strip increases the life-span of the entire top. Using tall dogs for alignment also makes for very fast changeover, unlike with the native MFT fence and rail setup.

And let me state for the record...Mike's setup is "to die for".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys. I’m going to incorporate a insert and see how it goes. Yes I’m using tall Parf dogs as a guide for my track.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Mike — What is Valchromat? It looks cool (sort of like phenolic?), but no idea what it actually is.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Mike — What is Valchromat? It looks cool (sort of like phenolic?), but no idea what it actually is.
    https://www.atlanticplywood.com/brand/valchromat/
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Yes, I think it can be incorporated just fine and as Mike's photos show, incorporating a replaceable strip increases the life-span of the entire top. Using tall dogs for alignment also makes for very fast changeover, unlike with the native MFT fence and rail setup.

And let me state for the record...Mike's setup is "to die for".
    Thank you, Jim. Between lockdowns here, the one of the local sales representatives for item24 visited to give me some company swag and invite me to the warehouse as soon as the current crisis is over. I invited him in to look at my workbench and he spent about 30 minutes inspecting it. I think he was pleased as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    The link Jim provided gives the best description of Valchromat. I saw something similar in a workbench video by Dennis, a Dutch woodworker from Hooked on Wood. He used a black MDF-like product for his workbench, and I wanted something similar for mine just to be different. I have used MDF and moisture-resistant MDF, but decided to give the Valchromat a try. A local vendor sells full sheets of 19mm Valchromat in various colors, but I decided to use the black version.

A full sheet of 19mm Valchromat is over twice the cost of 18mm MRMDF, but is easier to work and finish.

My assembly table/outfeed table/track saw cutting station is nothing like Mikes in appearance but it works fine for me. I throw a piece of 1 inch thick foam on it when I am cutting up sheet goods unless I am using the table to do cross cuts. That results in one shallow cut into the top. I will route that area out and replace it at some point. I use rail dogs to do cross cuts (DeWalt track saw). I do not have space for a single purpose table.

I’m planning on using Valchromat for walk-in closet built-ins. Really interesting material. I know that it’s stronger than MDF and more easily milled, but was wondering how well it takes screws? I was planning on dadoing the carcasses for the shelves and then using screws to attach the shelves, but in videos I mostly see people using a nail gun and glue. That seems to be a bit overkill. Plus I hate cleaning up glue!
    Howard Dean

"Love the hand that fate deals you and play it as your own, for what could be more fitting." Marcus Aurelius

I have only recently made my MFT top using the 3/4” MDF from the Depot. Already I have scored it up some, and will likely continue to do so, but having the PGII I can make another quite easily. I wanted inexpensive for the first try and the cuts aren’t affecting the top. They bug me, but again, life is a humbling experience. UJK make small 20mm non-skid buttons to elevate the material about 3mm above the top. They work well and I wish they were a tad taller.
    I have my MFT on one of my benches at this time, but am going to weld up another base for it. I like the extruded AL but I have the iron so it is an easy choice. The actual details of supports and storage are still undetermined. It needs an open base to be able to utilize the Festool hook clamps. I think below the top 6” or so I will build a sub-top out of THB. It will also need a drawer for the Dogs, buttons, etc. Height to act as an outfeed table as that is always a problem for me.
    Mike, your table is terrific.