Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Saw footprint & horsepower thoughts/questions...so I need opinions!!

For $100 more I see no reason *not* to get a 5HP upgrade, but at the same time I've never had a problem bogging down my 3HP cabinet saw unless the blade was missing teeth. If I were looking for a new cabinet saw and not considering a SawStop then I'd look awfully close at 12 inch blade models. In that case I'd want a 5HP motor.

I have a 3hp G01023RL. It is fine. I cut a lot of 4/4 hard maple without issue. I don't cut a lot of 8/4 but the right blade will make a difference. I didn't have a 30A circuit when I bought it but I have several other 5hp now. so I had to run it eventually. You can attach the Saw Stop slider to the Grizzly. Wort thing that can happen is you might have to drill a few holes that match up but I am guessing it is a universal fit. Grizzly used to offer a sliding attachment but I don't see it anymore. It looks like it is still marketed under the Shop Fox name(W1822). I have the JessEm Mast-R-Slide on mine. I love mine but they no longer make it.

I cannot imagine a 3hp not being enough - especially if you are willing to change blades for deep rips. I use a 1.75hp PCS and I need a thin kerf blade but I can use an all around blade for 3 inch deep rips in softwood. Hardwood will probably require the ripping blade, haven't done deep rips in hardwood yet. Inch to inch and a half are fine with all around. I have zero desire to "upgrade".

With respect to cost, it is wise to consider what one incident will cost. I had used table saws for literally decades until a dumb decision last year led to a broken bone and six stitches - despite using a sawstop. I would have lost the end of a finger, at least, with a Grizzly. I mentioned that I was still injured deliberately, I think SS oversells a little with their claim of no serious injury but it is factual that they help a lot if you touch the blade. The difference in medical cost of my mistake was easily greater than the difference in cost of the saws. I'm not trying to talk you into anything, just providing a point to consider.

OP, i see you mention 8/4, but if you work with 8/4+ very often then i would definitely go 5hp+ and possibly a 12/14" format. I know you are limited in footprint, but there isnt much practical size difference between a 10" saw and a small slider like Rod, or a 12" saw. They tend to be deeper machines, which you will probably have on a smaller machine in the form of outfeed support. However, the width is predicated on the rip fence you choose, and so they often occupy a similar footprint as a 10" saw, but are significantly heftier. As an example, my old unisaw's footprint was very close to the footprint of my Felder KF700 without the outrigger. Possibly 8" shallower than a PM72, and about 12" less than my Martin T17(also minus the outrigger/sliding table). At the end of the day, if those extra 8-12" arent critical to your shop, then i think you can fit a lot more machine than you think. There are a lot of options between the footprint of a 10" cabinet saw and a large format slider.

As to power, i actually consider 3hp to be pretty light when it comes to 2"+ hardwood. Sharp and clean blades definitely help, but i stalled my 3hp unisaw all the time. Sometimes wood has tension in it from growth or case hardening, and you simply need power to muscle through those forces. Ive had wood clamp firmly down on a riving knife/splitter many times, and more power is actually your ally there. Ive found a saw to be more of a kickback hazard when its underpowered. Same with my 5hp pm72. Tripped the VFD half a dozen times in a year of ownership.

I have a PM66 with a 3hp Baldor (not that it should make a difference). I've yet to bog it down. That includes cutting 8/4 hard maple at a 45 to make some curved boxes. That was with a full kerf 50 tpi blade. If given a choice for a small upgrade price I would go with 5hp but if it came down to getting a 3hp saw now vs waiting months for the 5hp I don't think I would wait. Is there a reason why you aren't think about a Sawstop? Not that I'm pushing you toward one and not wanting to get into the safety aspect debate but I have yet to hear anyone complain about fit or finish. If a slider is not an option and you're looking at a "lifetime" saw I would put them on my list. Is used out of the question? I bought my PM66 used and spent some time to clean up the internals and replace the bearings in the arbor and motor. Just refreshed it, not a restoration with new paint.

The vast majority of our sliding table saws ship with 4hp (S6/40%) motors and I've never bogged one down. Not even close, in fact.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have an old delta unisaw with a 2hp RI motor in it . Cuts anything I run through it . A 3 hp motor would be fine

Using the wrong blade, I have actually bogged down a 5HP Sawstop ICS. So it is possible. With the correct rip blade, it powered through like butter.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    5hp, no question.

More horsepower provided very little downside outside of the need to use a different size for leads.

In industrial applications there is a tendency toward more HP even if the application could do with less becuase a larger motor with a lower strain will live longer than a lower Hp under strain closer to its full output.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Ryan, my Hammer K3 Winner is 4 hp and cuts through very hard West Australian timber with ease. All up it has a smaller footprint than the contract saw it replaced. The 1350mm long slider can also be locked down to become a cabinet saw with a 31” wide rip. The micro adjustable rip fence may be used high or low.

This saw meets all my needs. I have no desire to upgrade.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Update:

Did a lot of thinking after making a TON of calls. Checked out some stuff and watched a ton of video's and I listened to you guys. One thing stuck in my head though...and that was the thought of cutting of my fingers. I made it through the Army alive, and I prefer to make it through woodworking with all of my digits and this ugly mug intact. Fast forward to today and I was able to see a sawstop in person that is used all the time and I was impressed.

So long story short, I have tenatively decided on the 36" PCS 3HP. I am going to have to run a new drop out to my tiny garage for it, but I think it will be well worth it. I even told my wife that I would sell one of my service rifle scopes, a mount for it as well as my annealer that I never use to compensate for the cost I will be incurring.

So time shall tell and we shall see what transpires.

Oh...and that big 14" Rikon band saw is nice....

Congratulations! It’s a nice saw with some great features. Enjoy!

It seems that every thread on table saws has someone mentioning the K3 but does not mention the price. I just looked up the price on it and was close to $8400! Wow...very nice saws but much more than a very good table saw.

Hi Larry,
    I just made a similar comment on a different Sawstop thread. I wasn’t sure of the actual price but suspected it was a serious upcharge over the PCS that was being discussed. Thanks for enlightening me. That is a significant amount of money.
    Best regards,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    It seems that every thread on table saws has someone mentioning the K3 but does not mention the price. I just looked up the price on it and was close to $8400! Wow...very nice saws but much more than a very good table saw.
    That must be for the largest model...........Rod.