Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: first round of tools for new lathe

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Sorry we've confused you.
    not hard to do right now. I am sure once I start using a lot of this stuff will com into focus. Thanks for the advice though. I see a bundle at rockler for $209 that looks pretty good:
    Nova G3 Chuck and Bowl Turning Bundle, 1'' x 8 TPI

don't want to deal with a machinist though so want to make sure it will fit on my lathe directly.
    Last edited by Stephen White; 02-17-2021 at 4:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen White View Post
    ha got some power,

OK that makes sense. Nova has a G3 chuck and bowl turning bundle with 1x8tpi. I want to start with wine stems and small under 12" bowls and this would get me started on bowls.
    I have read several places that the bundles are good deals on getting some stuff included.
    also is a supernove2 anniversary bundle, sounds like I need the 1x8 adapter for that one, will read on it as well
    Thanks I feel like I am getting somewhere on the chuck system anyway. Still undecided on starting with a carbide set and inserts and getting sharpening system and steel set later or just buying both now. Haveing internet every few hours the past few days hasn't helped.

Thanks
    Given the choice, I wouldn't buy the direct threaded chucks. I have one, a Nova Titan. For years the adapter version was all that I ever saw. Besides getting stuck with a chuck you cannot use if/when you change lathes some day, the direct threaded one I have does not have the flats needed to let you use a wrench to remove the chuck. I'm planning to machine some flats. I don't know if the other direct threaded models are built the same way.

JKJ

I am still fairly new. Been turning for 2 to 3 years. I started with a cheap set of HHS tools. I still haven’t used half of them. I bought some carbide tools and liked them better. A couple of weeks ago I bought a quality bowl gouge and use that most of the time now. To me nothing compares to a quality HHS tool.

... I see a bundle at rockler for $209 that looks pretty good:
    Nova G3 Chuck and Bowl Turning Bundle, 1'' x 8 TPI ....
    I haven't been convinced those Cole jaws are useful. Hopefully a more experienced turner can explain the pros and cons. I'll just note I've only noticed Cole jaws used in product demos and people demonstrating bowl turning all seem to use different solutions.

Typical bowl turning steps are face plate (on future inside) or between centers to shape outside of the bowl and create a tenon or recess at the base to clamp in a chuck. Then reverse the blank into a chuck to do the inside.

... don't want to deal with a machinist though so want to make sure it will fit on my lathe directly.
    Oh, no way. You'd always get one that fits if it was available. I think I heard about that option when someone was trying to fit a chuck on a 40's or 50's Shopsmith. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it but I noticed it on the TeknaTool website and it was fresh in my mind.

Not sure about this exchange but I am trying to understand which chuck system is the right one for my Midi with zero thought to using it on any other one later. It seems like to G3 and SN2 are for bigger lathes and need an adapter to run on mine? So far the link from one of you guys to nova: NOVA CHUCK PRECISION MIDI DIRECT THREAD 1″ X 8TPI (SKU 48111 AND 71028)

is really the only reference I have found. My internet is up and down but trying to do more research. This product says it fits the full range of nova chuck accessories but still don't really get if it will fit my rikon 70-220
    Any of those chucks will fit your lathe (direct thread 1''x8tpi or with a 1"x8tpi insert). The beauty of getting an insert type is that if you do ever upgrade lathes, you can use it on a larger lathe (with a new insert). If you are certain you won't be upgrading to a larger lathe then I would just buy the direct thread and if you ever do upgrade you can always sell your chucks fairly easily if in good condition).
    I would not buy a chuck with tommy bars....they are not that much cheaper than the G3 and not worth it IMHO (I had one and ended up giving it away because i never wanted to use it).

Just looking at tools-plus.com, a lot of the G3 and SN2 chucks are out of stock though they do have the following, which is what I would consider if I were you:
    G3 direct thread (no insert required) bundle (comes with extra sizes of jaws0 - $190 https://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-48293.html
    G3 direct thread (no insert required) with only 1 set of jaws - $150 https://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-48291.html
    G3 insert with one set of jaws (insert sold separately for around $30) - $140 https://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-48290.html
    SN2 insert bundle (insert sold separately for around $30) - $220 https://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-23108.html
    SN2 insert bundle (different jaws than 1st bundle; still need to purchase insert separately) - $240 https://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes-23245.html

There are lots of places to buy Nova chucks, I just have had good experiences with this site and have always found it to be the cheapest.
    Good luck.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Given the choice, I wouldn't buy the direct threaded chucks. I have one, a Nova Titan. For years the adapter version was all that I ever saw. Besides getting stuck with a chuck you cannot use if/when you change lathes some day, the direct threaded one I have does not have the flats needed to let you use a wrench to remove the chuck. I'm planning to machine some flats. I don't know if the other direct threaded models are built the same way.

JKJ

John has a lot more experience than I do and makes a good point about wrench flats. (And I think he's in the SuperNova2 camp.) I only remember getting a chuck stuck once, but I appreciated being able to throw a wrench on it.

... I see a bundle at rockler for $209 that looks pretty good:
    Nova G3 Chuck and Bowl Turning Bundle, 1'' x 8 TPI ....
    I haven't been convinced those Cole jaws are useful. Hopefully a more experienced turner can explain the pros and cons. I'll just note I've only noticed Cole jaws used in product demos and people demonstrating bowl turning all seem to use different solutions.

Typical bowl turning steps are face plate (on future inside) or between centers to shape outside of the bowl and create a tenon or recess at the base to clamp in a chuck. Then reverse the blank into a chuck to do the inside.
    I think e.g. this:

G3 Reversing 1"x8 Chuck - Value Bundle is a better deal on a G3 package.

JKJ, which jaws have you, and your students, found most useful when starting out?

I bought Cole jaws a long time ago and dedicated a chuck to them. However, I rarely found them useful. Using them may limit the design options of the rim of the bowl. It's possible to crack the rim if using them in the expansion mode inside the rim. Tightening the jaws gently may not hold.

A few years ago I took the cole jaws off the chuck and never put them back on. I sometimes make a jam chuck if turning a bowl. More recently I've changed the way I do things which for most pieces eliminated the need to reverse the bowl/platter to clean up the bottom.

BTW, whether using cole jaws or a jam chuck or a vacuum chuck, I use a bunch of strips of tape to secure the piece if I don't plan on using the tailstock for support for the entire process.
    This is the tape I like, it's NOT the same as the green painter's tape - this sticks far better and is pretty strong. I use it a lot in the shop and house. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z4AY

JKJ

OK made a decision on chuck, went with the Nova 48293 pro-tek bundle. It is direct threaded but hoping I wont regret it. John makes a valid point on if it gets stuck but saw some positives as well in reviews. It sounds like if I get into this I will likely have more chucks so this ones seems to be a good start. Thomas mentioned it directly and it matches up with some of the other advice, righty tighty and reversible and comes with some extra jaws. Now back to the sharpening system, carbide and steel research if power holds out. Thanks for all the help everyone on the chuck choice.

I have a direct thread vicmarc. It has flats for a wrench, but no provision for a grub screw. So I have to be careful when spinning in reverse or it will come off. I don't think I'd ever buy direct thread again.

And I agree on the cole jaws. I've used mine exactly once. I wouldn't get the kit with those, for that reason, and because the nubs that come with it are junk. I replaced my nubs with one-way nub - much better. Others use cole jaws often.

no cole jaws in the pro-tek bundle, the 48293 replaces the 48246 and supposedly has all the old features and some new ones, the old features includes the anti release lock so I think its safe in reverse.

• Anti-release spindle lock – Reversible
    • Ensures chuck will stay securely mounted on the lathe during forward and reverse turning applications

no cole jaws in the pro-tek bundle, the 48293 replaces the 48246 and supposedly has all the old features and some new ones, the old features includes the anti release lock so I think its safe in reverse.

• Anti-release spindle lock – Reversible
    • Ensures chuck will stay securely mounted on the lathe during forward and reverse turning applications
    I think that's a fancy term for "set screw". Mine has them, but I haven't needed to put the set screw in. My Nova's stay tight by themselves. I guess if you were sanding in reverse with some really coarse sand paper it might pull it loose. Now my Vicmarc, it'll come loose in a heartbeat. It's my favorite chuck but I do have to watch it.

Ok thanks to everyone here I have finalized the first round of tools. Going with a Sorby starter set, the 67HS, 3/4" Spindle Roughing Gouge, 3/8" Spindle Gouge, 3/8" Bowl Gouge, 3/4" Standard Skew Chisel, 1/8" Parting Tool and 1/2" Round Nose Scraper and a Simple Woodturning Tools Mid size carbide set.

The two of them, the G3 chuck bundle, drill chuck and arbor,
    wet sharpening system for the Sorbys all came in just under $900 with tax.

So all of this gear and the Rikon 70-220 lathe and stand all came in just under $2000 (about $1700 over my original HF plans . Could have easily spent much less to get into turning but hopefully made some wise decisions so this setup will take me down the road for a bit. I think it will become a central part of my shop.

Thanks again to all of you for all the great advice.

edit:
    well decided to drop the $200 carbide set so I could beef up my sharpening system so will add the carbide set later. Just have to shut down the cost

Last edited by Stephen White; 02-18-2021 at 2:45 PM.

I wish this conversation had been happening as i was beginning a few years ago. Though it likely would not have saved me a dime!!

Had a clearance e-mail from CPO Outlets this morning, the Nova G3 Pro-Tek (insert-style) was listed at $90 with the 50 mm jaws. https://www.cpooutlets.com/nova-4829...nvan48290.html I've already got the 1" x 8 tpi and 1 1/4" inserts--so for that money i picked one up. Thanks to a great comment earlier--i'm going to label the expand/contract directions with sharpie on my other chucks anyway--just because i always turn the wrong way anyway!!
    Thanks,
    earl

Just to update, had 2nd thoughts about getting the 6 tool Sorby set and decided to upgrade it to the 8 piece H6542. For $75 more it seems to be worth it.

Just to update, had 2nd thoughts about getting the 6 tool Sorby set and decided to upgrade it to the 8 piece H6542. For $75 more it seems to be worth it.
    LOL. Well I like your enthusiasm for the vortex