Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shop Tunes?

Blog Entries
    I used to need music all of the time. No more. At first it was pop, then rock, then country, now I listen just in the car and half of the time it is our local news station. When music I gravitate to the Garth Channel or Prime Country. I do have friends that must have music on all of the time in their home. Stuff like Barbra Streisand...just shoot me now.
    NOW you tell me...

Depends on my mood. It'll either be from Pandora, Spotify or Amazon Music. Lately it's been anything from Classic Rock to Outlaw Country to Old School Funk to Hair Metal. Maybe some Alternative or TV/Movie Western or Old Old country music. With the most common, don't know what to listen to, fall back being Classic Rock.

For specific music, sometimes when I'm in my other hobby room (scale model aircraft) I'll do Big Band to make me feel more in touch with the WWII subjects I build.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Big Classic Hits on iHeart radio, or podcasts, or the Rippingtons.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    Typically Windham Hill artists, soft piano, and folk/bluegrass.

Blog Entries
    I downloaded the Sirius XM app onto my tablet and I can play whatever I like from their selection of stations through my shop stereo radio. Usually it is 50's, 60's or 70's music except at Christmas, then I play holiday music.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Im 38, but I love everything you listed, especially older jazz.

Mechanical Music Radio out of the UK (are you sorry you asked?)
    A large collection of bluegrass and old time fiddle/banjo music
    Grateful Dead Radio plus my collection of 100+ CDs (plus NRPS, Commander Cody, Asleep at the Wheel, and various other rockabilly)
    Django Reinhard and Fats Waller stations on Pandora
    Gilbert and Sullivan operettas
    The Metropolitan Opera broadcasts
    Absolutely nothing that would pass for "popular music"

I stream Spotify and Amazon Music through a Roku TV in my shop. I output through my 1970's JBL studio monitor speakers and it sounds great. I like music that doesn't get in the way or distract me from my woodworking........easier jazz (Bob James, Boney James, Hiroshima, Rippingtons, etc) as well as jazz/rock (Steely Dan). Bluegrass (Tony Rice, Nickle Creek, Punch Brothers, Doc Watson, Mike Auldridge, etc) when I am not running machines.

I have a digital library of over 41,000 songs from which I've made playlists containing (all combined) roughly 10,000 songs by artist alphabet (A artists, B artists, etc.). I listen to these playlists mostly, which is quite an eclectic mix. One song might be bluegrass and the next heavy metal, then some old 40's tune. If it's something I'm not in the mood for, I just hit next on the remote. Even with that I get tired of it and sometimes listen to internet radio. My favorite is the "Amazing Blues" channel. But also listen to alternative, bluegrass, and jazz, and the local WTMD commercial free college station. Music is the first thing that gets turned on in the shop, after the lights of course.

When I'm doing a lot of work requiring hearing protection I stream to 3M bluetooth sound canceling headphones.

Sometimes I might listen/watch sports on a tablet, but mostly it's music all the time.

It makes me happy to see someone post "Little Feat". One of my all time favorites and not so "mainstream". I get so burned out on the mainstream stuff, no matter how good it is/was.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 02-12-2021 at 8:01 PM.

I'm the outcast, but I'll come clean.....I can't listen to music when woodworking as it's distracting. It's weird because music is a huge part of my life. I've played guitar for 40+ yrs and half my friends are musicians. I listen to music driving and working out. I even sit and listen to music. Woodworking.....I can't. Maybe it's a "walk and chew gum" thing with me lol.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Apple music or Joe Rogan podcast.
    Couple of suggestions for shop tunes:
    Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band - Almost Acoustic
    Guy Clark - Boats to Build
    David Bromberg Band - Only Slightly Mad
    Lucinda Williams - (Deluxe Edition)
    Ulf Wakenius - Taste of Honey
    The Mystix - Mighty Tone
    Peter Case - On the Way
    The Wood Brothers - Live at the Barn

Hope that helps someone. Happy listening

Most of the time I listen to free public domain audiobooks that I download from LibriVox, sometimes I listen to news or other radio (especially As It Happens from the CBC as we're near the Canadian border). Sometimes when I need more energy I listen to music: They Might Be Giants, Tom Waits, etc on CDs. Oddly enough I also am very fond of the Winterreise by Schubert and often listen to that in the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary Hoyt View Post
    Most of the time I listen to free public domain audiobooks.....
    I envy you guys that can listen to audiobooks or podcasts. I wish I could! I mean I can, but 1 sentence later I already forgot what they said. I've tried it on my two hour road trips going north during the summer and try as I can I already forgot what they said by the time they are on their next sentence. Which is a shame because I have a podcast on the American Revolution that I love, but can't concentrate enough to listen.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Blog Entries
    Great thread, and not surprised to see great music taste across the crew here. Seems woodworking isn't the only thing we all have in common.

Funny thing for me is that while I'm a music lover (in the house it's Avett Brothers, Wood Brothers, Grateful Dead, Vance Joy, Lumineers, Allmans, CSNY etc. etc. etc.) in the shop, I've been pretty much standard radio for a long time since I don't have internet connection out there.

Soon, that issue will be solved, and I plan on having an Alexa dot in the shop. I like asking it to play "Avett Brothers and similar artists" (etc.) to get a mix of stuff I know I already enjoy plus some new ideas too.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I think Prashun is pushing us all to listen to Inna Gota Da Vida based on his thread in GW&PT...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...