Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shop Tunes?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fox View Post
    I envy you guys that can listen to audiobooks or podcasts. I wish I could! I mean I can, but 1 sentence later I already forgot what they said. I've tried it on my two hour road trips going north during the summer and try as I can I already forgot what they said by the time they are on their next sentence. Which is a shame because I have a podcast on the American Revolution that I love, but can't concentrate enough to listen.
    When I was a kid my mother used to read to us a lot, and I also used to listen to a show called Read To Me on Maine Public Radio that was on at 7:30 PM on certain evenings, and they would read classic children's books, so I guess I got used to taking in information that way. It's been great once I found LibriVox, because I am able to listen to most of the old books that I had read and partly forgotten since, and also I've found a lot of authors I would never have known about. It's almost all pre-1926, since that's the current public domain cutoff, but there was a lot of interesting stuff written back then.

+1 on Grateful Dead and Little Feat. They spend a lot of time with me in the shop. Saw them together in Maine at the Oxford Plains Speedway 7/2-3/88.

I bounce around a fair bit, kinda depends on my mood, the task at hand, and what's playing that day

WTMD's "Weasels Wild Weekends" on Friday with a repeat midday Saturday,
    WTMD's Saturday evening "Roadhouse"/blues,
    WTMD's Saturday evening Dirty Soul party
    Schedule of Programs – WTMD

Sunday Evenings if i'm doing chores in the shop I'll frequently be listening to old time radio shows, like Dragnet, Gunsmoke, Johnny Dollar , x-1 etc on WMAU's big broadcast. That said, recently they seem to be putting a bit to much current events into the show for my liking as i get that else ware
    The Big Broadcast | WAMU.

Otherwise it's frequently
    Radio Hatteras, one volunteer dj told me she/they tried to play music you could swing a hammer to.
    Radio Hatteras - Schedule

I have a huge CD collection of 1960-1975 rock, classical, flemenco, and broadway hits. A lot of the 60's and 70's stuff I have transferred to memory sticks and I play them through a Sony boombox using some relatively good wireless headset.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

How could I have forgotten Tommy Emmanuel, guitar genius. I could listen to him all day, and sometimes do.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    How could I have forgotten Tommy Emmanuel, guitar genius. I could listen to him all day, and sometimes do.
    Amen to that! For similarly wonderful, check out these guys for the most amazing guitar duo you've ever heard: https://www.lorenandmark.com

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Amen to that! For similarly wonderful, check out these guys for the most amazing guitar duo you've ever heard: https://www.lorenandmark.com
    Thanks for this - these two are pretty good! Hopefully Loren recovers from his chainsaw accident and can play again.

Baseball games in the before times, but no sports talk. I just resurrected my old stereo system in the shop area with turntable and CD player, and am going through my old LPs and CDs. Van Morrison, Bruce Springsteen, the Moody Blues, Eagles, Gordon Lightfoot, CSN&Y (separate and together), etc. I have about 200 of my favorite songs on my phone that I can easily play through my bluetoothed JBL portable speaker (highly recommended).

Interesting what you all listen to. I stream a half-dozen rather different Pandora stations through my iPhone and an Ultimate Ears Wonderboom speaker. The stations are centered on particular artists, so I get a lot of similar music. Currently it's Five Finger Death Punch, Rush, Blues Traveler, Tower of Power, Dropkick Murphys, and Zac Brown Band.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Blog Entries
    In the shop, it's NPR all the time. It was a big day when my son-in-law was interviewed by Nina Totenberg and got her to autograph my Nina Totenbag.

When I'm working on the computer, I lean towards movie soundtracks. I like those because they are easy to ignore. I like Rachel Portman (Cider House Rules, Emma), Hanz Zimmer (DaVinci Code). But sometimes it's classical or Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon).

Does anyone still make a radio that comes on and stays on as long as it is plugged into a switched socket? Plug it into a light socket and it comes on and off with the lights. No need to turn it on every time, I forget.
    Bil lD

You may be able to find a simple "old style" radio or older "shelf system" that behaves like you describe, but so many of them today are like most electronics...they are "on" even when they are "off" and killing power from a wall switch may or may not have them come back on in the expected state once power is restored. The old Nakamichi system I use in my shop to make streaming from my Alexa happen defaults to "0" volume if power is lost for any reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think you can still buy a new superradio, now type III, and now branded RCA (was originally GE I think?). It works the way you want. Or you could pick up a used version I or II; they all work the same. Good sounding radio too.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Tyler Childers on pandora is my go to. Using my new ISOTunes Pro that wife got me for Christmas. They are a nice upgrade to what I was using.