Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 inch Jointer- ShopFox W1741H vs W1860... what the heck is the difference!?

8 inch Jointer- ShopFox W1741H vs W1860... what the heck is the difference!?

Hello all,

I've been searching for a used 8inch jointer for a couple of years now, and have been largely unsuccessful. Very few for sale, and those that are, seem to be listed at 80-90% of retail even though the machines are quite used. I've decided to bite the bullet and purchase new. I know I want an helical head because I really don't want to fuss with the knives, and the cut quality of course...

Anyways, I've found these two shopfox models, and I see a few seemingly very minor differences (half inch difference on fence height, half inch difference on table length, difference power switch), but for the life of me, I can't find any comparisons online to figure out why the 1860 is about $500 more expensive than the 1741H. Does anyone have any experience with both? Anyone happen to have knowledge of the differences? Would really love some input from the community because I really feel like I must be missing something.

Thank you in advance!

Zac

Yeah it's hard to tell. The base is definitely different. Centered fence on the 1860. I have the older 1741 before they put the Helical in it that I've been debating getting a shelix for. Don't know if it's changed for the 1741H model or not, but mine has a bit of belt slap on startup which I guess was pretty normal for this model. Again not sure about the newer H's. Just saw a review of the Non-H version saying you can bend the belt housing just a bit to solve it or Grizzly sells a replacement pulley and a flat belt. I haven't looked into the replacement parts myself. Again, I don't know if the belt slap has been addressed. Doesn't seem to hinder the operation any. I moved into this house in 2007, not sure when I bought it (2008 or 09?).
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

You can call Grizzly customer service and they should be able to tell you what the difference is.

Most likely one is made in China and the other in Taiwan. I'm not sure if Grizzly posts on their website where they are made but in their catalog the Grizzly versions will say.

Cutter head diameter and cutter head speed are different. not sure it's enough to really be different.
    Brian

I own the 1741 which I put a Byrd head in it. I looked over the manuals/parts diagrams of both. One of the 1st things that stand out is the 1860 is 150lbs lighter. It looks like that weight comes from the reduced castings size of the tables and table base. The 1860 has metal covers that span the gab between the base the tables where the 1741 is all cast iron. Whether that makes a difference in actual use I don't know. The motor of the 1860 looks a little easier to adjust the belt tension but I haven't touched mine since I set it up almost 10 years ago. The 1860 fence has 4 angle stops and what looks like a geared knob to move the fence in and out. I have to bump my fence in and out and I always leave it at 90 degrees. The 1860 does have a couple of infeed depth stops which is nice. The depth scale looks a little more refined. The 1741 has replaceable table lips but I never understood how the get chewed up even though I have seen it on some jointers. The 4 parallel wheels on the 1860 is a deal killer vs the 3 wheel mobile baes on the 1741. All in all I would stick with the 1741 and save the $500. Usually the Grizzly versions are a little cheaper but might not be when you add shipping and tax.

Spec sheet says 1741 is made in China and the 1860 is made in Taiwan.

Fantastic Cary, thank you so much for the info. Exactly what I was looking for. Seems to me like heavier and more cast iron would be a plus for a jointer... the fence adjustments and the upgraded mobile base does sound nice on the 1860, but like you said... not sure it would be worth the extra $500...

Thanks again to everyone for the info... feel free to continue to discuss and ill let you know how I end up!

I would say the mobility on the 1860 is a negative(4 fixed wheels where the 1741 has 2 fixed and one swivel)

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I would say the mobility on the 1860 is a negative(4 fixed wheels where the 1741 has 2 fixed and one swivel)
    Ah yes I misunderstood, I thought the 4 wheels were swivel... thanks for the clarification.

Here are some discussions between the Grizzly versions. They should translate over to the Shop Fox. G0490=W1741, G0857=W1860
    https://sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=14957625

There is a comment in one of those threads that the 490 has a thinner bed by 1/4" according to the specs.

the link isn't working, but that's ok... I ordered the 1741 about an hour ago... fingers crossed! It seems weird though that the 490 would have a thinner bed considering it is heavier, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I own the 1741 which I put a Byrd head in it.
    Cary, how do you like the Byrd head in there? Been thinking of upgrading mine. Does yours have the belt slap on Startup?
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fox View Post
    Cary, how do you like the Byrd head in there? Been thinking of upgrading mine. Does yours have the belt slap on Startup?
    I am very happy with the Byrd. I have a friend that has a grizzly head in his Grizzly 8" jointer. I can't say that I see any difference. I don't have belt slap on my jointer. I can't remember if I fixed it or it was never there in the beginning. I know I didn't replace it with the Grizzly new belt and pully. I might have bent the housing.

welp, I ordered the 1741 like I said, but this morning got an email back from the re-seller stating that they are out of stock until mid-august... ugh! Back to the drawing board I guess...