Thread: Grizzly G0766 swing-away for tailstock?

Grizzly G0766 swing-away for tailstock?

I've got a Grizzly G0766 coming and I know that I want to make a swing-away for the tailstock. I fabricated a wooden one for my old lathe, which worked great, but on that lathe the ways had holes which made mounting easy. The holes on the Grizzly legs are much lower, which means a more complicated assembly. Instead of starting from scratch, I was wondering if someone else had already made something that works. If so, could you share your design? Thanks.

This is someone else's picture that I borrowed to show the location of the threaded holes in the legs.

grizzly2.jpg

David

2. you could use large weld on gate hinges and drill appropriate holes where needed on the hinge or on the legs of the lathe for that matter, to get whatever angle you need to swing the tailstock out of the way. Weld on hinges just don't have pre-drilled holes, but you can drill them yourself. position to your liking, mark and drill, then bolt on. Here's an example...

https://www.hingeoutlet.com/collecti...-square-2-pack

If you decide to make one, please post a couple pics of your modification on the GGMG [Grizzly Green Monster Group] under the "community" tab near the top of the page.......other G0766 owners will be interested!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

3. The G0800 has this setup that shows a hinged tailstock setupg0800_det5-2113feb9d4d2ade4c105da77c364d0fb.jpgyou would need a .platform for the tailstock to sit on.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger -That’s a similar concept to the swing away I made for my last lathe, except that I made it out of wood. The attachment was right on the ways which made the design relatively simple. I think what I’ll need to do is use a thick piece of wood large enough to attach to the existing holes and reach the bed. It shouldn’t be that difficult, but now looking at the picture you posted, I’m wondering if I can combine the swing away with the ability to have a short extension for a tool rest for larger platters.

I’m just spitballing for now. The lathe hasn’t even been delivered yet.

David

I've removed the tailstock from my G0766 and it wasn't terribly heavy. I did that so that I could work on a bowl straight-on rather than bending over the lathe. It's a shame that the bolt on my tailstock interferes with the end of the lathe bed (even when the pin is unscrewed). But it hasn't bothered me to the point where I've either shortened the bolt or modified the bed casting.

Here's a post I saw on the internet for building your own swing-away. http://www.petergerstelwoodworking.com/ There are some links to some drawings.
    Last edited by Brice Rogers; 02-11-2021 at 11:44 PM.

Not a Grizzly, but I made a tailstock pivot that used holes that were quite a bit lower as you are inquiring about. A webbed structure allowed it to be built on wherever the holes were.

Tail stock pivot 1.jpg

Tail stock pivot 2.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Not a Grizzly, but I made a tailstock pivot that used holes that were quite a bit lower as you are inquiring about. A webbed structure allowed it to be built on wherever the holes were.

Tail stock pivot 1.jpg

Tail stock pivot 2.jpg
    Nicely done steel work. If one has the equipment to make the steel parts, that's the way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I've removed the tailstock from my G0766 and it wasn't terribly heavy. I did that so that I could work on a bowl straight-on rather than bending over the lathe. It's a shame that the bolt on my tailstock interferes with the end of the lathe bed (even when the pin is unscrewed). But it hasn't bothered me to the point where I've either shortened the bolt or modified the bed casting.

Here's a post I saw on the internet for building your own swing-away. http://www.petergerstelwoodworking.com/ There are some links to some drawings.
    I cannot currently turn off the end of my G0766 because of shop space. But I was thinking the same thing - that it wasn't that big of a deal to simply remove the tail stock. On the other hand, what I perceive as easily doable for me may not be the case for everyone. So I can see how some might need the swing away feature.

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    Nicely done steel work. If one has the equipment to make the steel parts, that's the way to do it.
    Agreed. Very ingenious. But above my skill level. I’ll be working with wood.