Thread: Powermatic 26 Restoration Pulley/Sheave Issues

Powermatic 26 Restoration Pulley/Sheave Issues

Hi, I'm restoring a Powermatic 26 Shaper. Unfortunately the PM26 had both a bent quill spindle and pulley as well as a motor sheave/pulley that had been hacked on. I need to replace both of them.

My PM26 had the oldest style pulleys on it for an A style V belt. The new spindle assembly, came with a 7M section pulley known as the "thin" or "narrow" V-Belt. Because of the length of the spindle to attach a pulley, my options are to find a motor sheave that matches the thin/narrow 7M710 V-Belt (which i can't find anyone making) or to switch to the PM27 5HP 3V section belt and put in a 3VX300 belt.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this or has any recommendations. I've found the motor sheave for the 3V section, but not for the spindle. Any feedback is appreciated.

How many belts?
    Are they step pulleys?
    Shaft sizes?
    Key sizes?

As you found out 7M is a bastard.

Did you try OWWM.ORG?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Coryell View Post
    How many belts?
    Are they step pulleys?
    Shaft sizes?
    Key sizes?

As you found out 7M is a bastard.

Did you try OWWM.ORG?
    Hi Stan,

I was looking for specs so I could try to buy aftermarket parts. I still have no idea what the specs are on the 3V spindle pulley. Powermatic was no help, they have no specs either. From the manual its clear that its a 2-step pulley. I know its a 3/16" key size. I assume the shaft size is probably 3/4" but again I was looking for info so I can't answer these questions.

I did try OWWM.org, and I got no responses. http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=222371

I just bought a PM27 complete spindle assembly with a 1" solid spindle that already has the 3V spindle pulley. Once I get it, I can measure it myself. Someone told me the 3V spindle pulley will fit on the spindle that has the narrow belt, its a 1" thick pulley. They actually sent a picture of it being done. I decided I was over all the hassle and just bought the 1" with the right pulley on it.

I still need to find the motor sheave; powermatic recommended me to Redmond parts who says he has that part, but still waiting on a price etc.

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    Hi, I'm restoring a Powermatic 26 Shaper. Unfortunately the PM26 had both a bent quill spindle and pulley as well as a motor sheave/pulley that had been hacked on. I need to replace both of them.

My PM26 had the oldest style pulleys on it for an A style V belt. The new spindle assembly, came with a 7M section pulley known as the "thin" or "narrow" V-Belt. Because of the length of the spindle to attach a pulley, my options are to find a motor sheave that matches the thin/narrow 7M710 V-Belt (which i can't find anyone making) or to switch to the PM27 5HP 3V section belt and put in a 3VX300 belt.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with this or has any recommendations. I've found the motor sheave for the 3V section, but not for the spindle. Any feedback is appreciated.
    If you are willing to replace both pulleys and the belt, then as long as you size it for the HP of the unit it should not be a problem, assuming the diameter of the pulleys will fit in the space allowed. VX design will give you more HP. I always size my drives with a ser4vice factor of 2. So if you have a 3hp motor size it for a 6hp motor. Be conscious to maintain the speed at the cutterhead as close as possible. Thanks Brian
    Brian

IMG_3269.jpgI have a mid-80s era Model 26 with the narrow belt, a 1 inch solid spindle and what I assume are the original pulleys. Happy to take more pics of what mine looks like and/or try to measure, if it's helpful. I also looked in the manual, but the exploded view and parts list didn't seem to have any specs.

Quote Originally Posted by David Stone (CT) View Post
    IMG_3269.jpgI have a mid-80s era Model 26 with the narrow belt, a 1 inch solid spindle and what I assume are the original pulleys. Happy to take more pics of what mine looks like and/or try to measure, if it's helpful. I also looked in the manual, but the exploded view and parts list didn't seem to have any specs.
    Hi David,

Thanks for the offer, the PM26 comes with the section 7M belts which I got rid of because you can't get motor sheave's in section 7M. I went with the PM 27 3V section belts which I can get after market sheaves for.

For anyone else looking for the specs, a nice gentleman at OWWM provided the specs:

Motor sheave

ODs are 6.5" and 6".
    U is .135 +/- .005
    W is .350 +/- .005
    E is .341
    Overall height is 1 1/2"
    Each the hub and each pulley section are 1/2" tall

Spindle pulley

ODs are 3.0" and 2.354"
    Other dimensions same as above
    Overall height 1"

Glad you got your info. That site and this one are both fantastic resources. (And now I will know what to do if my OEM pulleys ever go kaput.)