Thread: Table saw parallel to miter slot

Table saw parallel to miter slot

I have a cabinet saw. I set this up within .001. I turn on the saw and run the blade for 30 seconds or so and the tolerance goes out to .004/.005.

I have tried using/not using the lock washers and hand tightened these nuts on the cabinet saw as tight as I can get them.

Could the table be moving that much on the base?

Thanks.

Brian
    Brian

Have you checked the arbor for runout?

Is the blade seated well against the flange when you're testing? Is your washer flat? (My stamped one proved to be the problem when I was fighting a similar issue) As Marc said check your arbor for runout. Are your bearings bad, allowing the shaft to move?

I'll check the arbor for run out. I worked in the power transmission industry, and I don't hear any noise from the bearings suggesting wear. Blade is snug against the arbor. thanks brian
    Brian

Blog Entries
    Are you checking to the same exact spot on the blade plate? Don't try to do your alignment using a tooth.

It sounds like there is play in the saw raise/lower support. Make sure all locking levers are locked when doing your measurements.

The arbor has .0005 run out which is great. Arbor was clean and smooth and blade is fitted well with the nut and washer good and flat. I reset the table top to .0001 parallel. I am tightening the bolts down and adjusting as I go to keep it parallel, but it is still moving a little and the dial indicator is not showing it as I tighten the bolts, but I am a little off parallel. .002/.003 whicxh should not matter? thanks brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Are you checking to the same exact spot on the blade plate? Don't try to do your alignment using a tooth.

It sounds like there is play in the saw raise/lower support. Make sure all locking levers are locked when doing your measurements.
    Radius inside underneath the root of the tooth. mark a spot set indicator to zero rotate blade 180 degrees. thanks brian
    Brian

Have you looked at the trunnions? One could be slightly loose or have some play in it.

Blog Entries
    Make and model? Maybe an owner on here can give specific experienced info.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler