Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drawer/Cabinet construction?

I've done pocket screws (quickest,), rabbet and pinned, locking rabbet, dovetails, butt and pinned, all with glue. All work well. You have to decide if you are building drawers for function, or vanity

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Edwin, from the outside, it looks like a simple mitred joint. But on the inside lie dovetails.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Ah, thank you for explaining, I learned something new from you Derek. Impressive in some respects, but I can't see myself ever choosing to do something like this, at least of my own free will.
    However, absent from your list above is the half blind mitered dovetail, which is a very nice technique I can get behind.
    Since the subject of mitered dovetails has come up, I will try to reciprocate and post a recent project in the Projects sub-forum that illustrates it in a waterfall table. Thanks
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 02-12-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Post the pics here, Edwin - it keeps the thread together. I'd love to see your half-blind waterfall table.

I built a waterfall entry hall table as wedding gift for a niece last year. In Fiddleback Jarrah ...

Lipped half-blind drawers ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Post the pics here, Edwin - it keeps the thread together. I'd love to see your half-blind waterfall table.

I built a waterfall entry hall table as wedding gift for a niece last year. In Fiddleback Jarrah ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Hi Derek,
    I already posted my half blind dovetail table in the Projects forum; you can see it here:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-hallway-table

I hope you like it.
    Yours is a lovely post modern table, I'm sure your niece was thrilled. Many thanks

[img]https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment....3&d=1613141399[/img]

Edwin, that is superb! I love the angles you create, and overall it has an interesting complexity that still manages to remain balanced. I agree that the waterfall works better with the half-blind dovetail.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Those Intelligent Fixings Peanuts are an interesting proposition too...

I just ordered some Maple this weekend and was blown away by the price. I think I’ll be sticking with Plywood for the foreseeable future. I’m thinking I MAY invest in a drawer lock router bit (It seems like it’d work okay with Plywood drawers and cabinet carcasses...): although after watching some videos, they appear to be quite fiddly too...

You can do the equivalent of the drawer lock with your table saw with a little careful planning, but the router tooling certainly has a nice appeal to it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...