Thread: anyone actually sell oversized plywood

anyone actually sell oversized plywood

The box stores have 4x10 sheathing plywood in the catalog but do not actually have any anywhere in the system.. Needs to be 1/2-5/8 ply or osb. Not baltic birch prices. I am doing a shear wall in a garage and from top to bottom plate is about 9 feet. I am trying to avoid the horizontal (hinge) joint with tons of extra nails.
    Bil lD

Try a real lumber yard. If they don't have it they can probably tell you who does. There are 3-4 places within 30 minutes of me that stock it, but I'm 3000 miles from you, so not much help. Never seen it at the Borg.

Blog Entries
    These folk have it, as well as two other yards in our area. You need to find a real lumber yard in your area.

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp...hrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=lumb...w=1920&bih=969

https://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=m...a+lumber+yards
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-11-2021 at 9:09 AM.

Thanks for the help. It is just so stupid that they list it in their online catalog and have not carried it for more then 10 years. They say it is not available and they can call you when it comes in, like it is the makers fault.
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-11-2021 at 8:48 PM.

10' long panels are available, but not likely at the "walk-in" retail level. A really good commercial lumber yard can help you or you can buy your sheet goods from a real sheet goods supplier/distributor. Most will service non-commercial individuals and most will also deliver. If you want it to look nice, good quality AC should do the job and you can often put it up with continuous "grain" if you are careful with how you take the sheets off the stack.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Thanks for the help. It is just so stupid that the list it in their online catalog and have not carried it for more then 10 years. They say it is not available and they can call you when it comes in, like it is the makers fault.
    Bill D.
    I'm shocked anyone would look at a box store for specialty lumber items. They only sell what moves in volume. When's the last time you bought oversized sheet goods? I've never bought any in the 50 years I've done DIY building projects. Having it readily available for someone to buy a couple sheets every 50 years sounds like bad business to me. Use let in angled 2x4s like they did before plywood. I just checked my Menards and they can have 4x10, 7/16 OSB in 5 days.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 02-11-2021 at 12:17 PM.

I’d need help to lug that stuff.
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    If I want toys, I go to the big box stores, if I want lumber I will go to Southerland Lumber, Kilgore Lumber, or McCoys and buy lumber. I haul it home in my F-150 truck.

"The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys."

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I'm shocked anyone would look at a box store for specialty lumber items. They only sell what moves in volume. When's the last time you bought oversized sheet goods? I've never bought any in the 50 years I've done DIY building projects. Having it readily available for someone to buy a couple sheets every 50 years sounds like bad business to me. Use let in angled 2x4s like they did before plywood. I just checked my Menards and they can have 4x10, 7/16 OSB in 5 days.
    You obviously do not live with quake or hurricane building codes. In shear walls the nails are spaced 3" on center on edges and 12" in the filed. Studs at the edges. of the plywood must be 4x4 or doubled 2x4 nailed staggered double rows 3" on center. So for a 8' tall double stud 64 nails plus the ones to attach the ply(64). Do you even have to bolt the mudsill down and use hold downs at the corners?

https://www.huberwood.com/zip-system...ngth-sheathing

Call a local lumber yard that contractors use. I can’t speak to availability. Lots of products have been hard to get and it seems to rotate. At least in my local.

Because you live in an area where use of this size is commonly used, most lumber yards should stock some. Don't expect the "home centers" to stock it. Visit a house that's being framed, and ask where they purchase such. As for nails, number doesn't matter if shot with a nail gun. It takes longer to load a stick of nails than to shoot them.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 02-12-2021 at 9:00 AM.

Is the nailed horizontal joint earthquake code? Here we can just sheet a wall with osb on 16" with nothing backing the horizontals, then drywall over to get a code compliant shear wall. Or use diagonal bracing, steel or cut in wood. We are not earthquake country though.

This will not be inspected, just need something on the stud walls in the garage to cover insulation. Makes sense to make it a shear wall with plywood instead of drywall over fiberglass while I am at it. I see conflicting opinions if a horizontal joint is allowed or not. Sure seems weak to me.
    I will add hold downs in all four corners for $100. Due to orientation the real issue is the short walls on either side of the car door. I will probably add hold downs to the door studs and the corners as well. At least there is no room above the soft story garage.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Menards has 4x9 OSB off the shelf here; I used it when I built my shop around 10 years ago. 4x10 is special order, same lead time, about 5 days. It seems to me though that I have seen 4x10 in the summer there. It might be out now due to the OSB shortages.

Of course this is of no use to Bill, who doesn't live in Menards country Someone out there should carry it. 9 and 10 foot wall systems are pretty common.

I was at HD today so I asked at the special order desk. They do not do special orders. Just large orders of items they already have in stock.
    Bil lD