Thread: Question about Stanley 45 and maybe a setup block? pictures attached.

Question about Stanley 45 and maybe a setup block? pictures attached.

Hello friends. I recently acquired another Stanley 45 Combination Plane. In the box along with a myriad of other items was these two interesting looking items. I believe one to be a homemade depth stop, but there is also a stepped piece of wood with a hole drilled in it that I have no idea about. I don't know if it belongs on the 45 or what it would be used for if it is an accessory for the Stanley 45. If anybody has any intel on this, I'd appreciate knowing. I'm not a collector by the way, simply a user interested in anything that someone has developed to make this plane more efficient, useful, fun etc.
    IMG_0286.jpgIMG_0287.jpgIMG_0288.jpg

A SWAG - the wooden piece could be used to set common distances for the fence, or depth stop.

The metal depth stop fits over the slitter back right as you are holding the plane. That is shown in manual if you have one. And I forget what the wood is for! It did come with the plane, perhaps just to hold something in the box? Never used mine! One of the 45 experts here will chime in. The 45 really is a nice plane and the more I work with mine, the more my appreciation grows.

Thanks.
    Kevin

Thanks guys. That’s very interesting. I’ll have to measure it.

Question: what size is that hole in the wooden block? And where does that hole line up with on the plane.....?

Blog Entries
    The wooden block is part of the original packaging of many Stanley #45s. It held the depth stop and if my memory is working it also kept some parts from bumping into each other.

For setting fence spacing it is helpful to have a reference at least as long as the fence to ensure the fence and skate are parallel. This works for me:

1- Multi-Size Spacer Pack.jpg

The blades are 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" & 1" in thickness. This when used with a fence having the micro adjustment feature allows for a set up from 1/8" to 1-7/8" with a fine adjustment on the fence.

If you need a manual, search > stanley 45 user manual < and you will find a few places from which to download them.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-11-2021 at 4:18 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, did the calipers come in the original packaging also? The 45 I bought had a set included. Thanks so much for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The wooden block is part of the original packaging of many Stanley #45s. It held the depth stop and if my memory is working it also kept some parts from bumping into each other.

For setting fence spacing it is helpful to have a reference at least as long as the fence to ensure the fence and skate are parallel. This works for me:

1- Multi-Size Spacer Pack.jpg

The blades are 1/8", 1/4", 1/2" & 1" in thickness. This when used with a fence having the micro adjustment feature allows for a set up from 1/8" to 1-7/8" with a fine adjustment on the fence.

If you need a manual, search > stanley 45 user manual < and you will find a few places from which to download them.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Trebuna View Post
    Jim, did the calipers come in the original packaging also? The 45 I bought had a set included. Thanks so much for the information.
    No calipers with the original.

For information on Stanley planes try > http://www.supertool.com < That is the home page. The page with all the information is Patrick's Blood and Gore. The second page is the Terms Of Use. The third page is the one you will want to bookmark.

At the bottom of the page is links to the pages with the descriptions of the different planes. The page for the #45 has a listing of what came with the plane and how blades were added to the set over the years.

He also sends out a monthly tool list of items for sale. His descriptions and photographs of tools are great for those wanting more knowledge about tools of all kinds.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Thanks, I am pretty familiar with the site, but will spend some time there. Appreciate all the information and your willingness to share it.

Blog Entries
    You are welcome Todd. If you have any interest in the spacers, they were originally made as an accessory to the vises on my bench which have a tendency to rack.

The original post is here > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?183743

jtk