Thread: Walking Plow beam

Walking Plow beam

I have a walking plow with a wood main beam that has rotted apart , it is basically a 4x4 10 foot long with shaping along the way. My question is what woods should I make it of?

You want to use something that's durable for outdoor use and storage...white oak (not red oak) would be a strong species that's suitable, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim's right, and cool project! Watched my grandfather make one with a drawknife a brace and about 30 mins when I was a kid. Deere plow?

You could look at ash too.

I haven’t studied it enough to find any logos

Location? Maybe teak or ipe if that is cheap in your area.
    Bill D

Although it’s difficult to work, would seem like a great place for Black Locust.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

https://www.wood-database.com/australian-buloke/ hardest wood in the world. any growing near you? Not sure about weathering resistance.
    Bil lD

Thanks, I live at northeast South Dakota so oak and ash will be what I will look for.

Blog Entries
    I believe white oak tops the list. Welcome to the Creek BTW!!! If you update your profile, we will see where you are from. Very useful in many inquires.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Johnson2 View Post
    You could look at ash too.
    Ash would be strong and easy to work, but does not have good rot resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Loeschke View Post
    Thanks, I live at northeast South Dakota so oak and ash will be what I will look for.
    To be clear...you want White Oak, not Red Oak. The latter is like multiple soda straws strung together and degrades quickly in moisture and weather. I don't know that I'd use ash, either. The black locust that someone mentioned is also worthy...but harder to come by and "fun" to work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You can add pecan or hickory to your list of 'strong enough' woods. The two are so much alike they are usually sold as one wood.

The black locust would last forever, but finding long pieces is a challenge.

White oak is very rot resistant and big pieces are readily available.

Pecan/Hickory is somewhat better at rot resistance than most woods and big pieces are easy to find, at least here in Ok.

If it's for actual use in the garden, weight matters. If it's for decoration, use whatever you like and finish it with Spar Varnish.