Thread: Base kitchen cabinet design question

Question Base kitchen cabinet design question

A little background information. I am going to use the adjustable leveling legs, and will either have granite or quartz countertops. The base cabinets will be held together with pocket holes and glue. The question I have is should I screw the sides to the bottom, or can I go with the bottom screwed to the sides? I’m thinking the sides screwed to the bottom so the load is directly on the cabinet bottom, but would like some opinions.

Blog Entries
    For maximum weight bearing I woul d have the sides sitting on the bottom panel.

I agree with Lee, the strongest would be with the sides on the bottom panel. Particularly when thicker granite or stone counters are going to be installed.
    If the side panel is visible, a rabbet on the sides will be a bit more work, but will also be very strong, but as far as I know doesn't work with pocket hole joinery.

Some leveling legs have a ledge/lip that transfers weight from the side to the leg when mounted near the outside edge. With that type of a leg, it is possible to have the bottom screwed to the sides (Ikea comes to mind)
    however I can't see that method holding nearly as much weight.

The legs themselves are generally quite strong. The ones I use have a rating (according to Richelieu, the supplier) of 650 lbs per leg, with most others at around 330 lbs.

I do have one question though, if doing a butt joint with the sides sitting on the bottom panel, why go through the trouble of doing pocket hole joinery?
    2 1/2" to 3" long #8 screws through the bottom up into the sides would be much easier and stronger.

I appreciate your responses. I agree with you two about the best load bearing design would be the sides resting on the bottom. Gustav, to answer your question I’ve just had my mind set on pocket holes and didn’t think about #8’s up through the bottom, very good point. If you don’t mind me asking, which leveling legs do you use?

When I don't use plywood bases, I mostly use these leveling legs from Richelieu. There are many others out there as well, and I've used ones from Lee Valley as well with excellent success.
    If memory serves me correct, The LV ones are rated at around 300lbs per leg, but are quite a bit pricier (close to 40% more than what I get from Richelieu).

https://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/cate...73/sku-4501090

And the ones from Lee Valley:

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...t?item=00S8501

Unfortunately Lee Valley doesn't have decent information about their products on their website anymore, so no weight rating that I could find.