Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone else sell anything like this

anyone else sell anything like this

I have a nice big assembly table, but did not build a vice into it. Looking for something to hold pieces for stub tenon work and hand planing like this?

Thanks Brian

https://www.woodpeck.com/ott-vise-less-work-support.html
    Brian

I dont know of a vendor. But if you wanted to save a few bucks, you can use 4 clamps and achieve the same basic thing. Use 2 big screw clamps to hold it vertical and 2 F-clamps to hold the screw clamps on the bench. If thatxs not stable enough, you could make a moxon vise variant and fasten it to the bench with F-clamps.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

If you have dog holes in that work surface, there are options for workholding that are "vice like" without the vice. They are not for heavy clamping pressure, but to keep things in place while working them as your describe they will work fine. For shop made...stops and wedges work really nicely. Lee Valley's Veritas brand has dogs with horizontal clamping. Etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Handscrews.
    Attached Images Attached Images

As Johnnymeans posted: handscrews!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you have dog holes in that work surface, there are options for workholding that are "vice like" without the vice. They are not for heavy clamping pressure, but to keep things in place while working them as your describe they will work fine. For shop made...stops and wedges work really nicely. Lee Valley's Veritas brand has dogs with horizontal clamping. Etc.
    Jim, I built a dead flat away table that I s 4ft 8ft. Top sits on cabinets and the bottom is med and there are multiple 6x6 med crosses on edge in the next layer and the top is another layer of med. I have a replaceable sheet of masonite on top. I don't see a way to add a vice and not sure dogs would hold over time. No way for me to hold a board on it's edge to plane it. Thanks Brian
    Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_QsnUk0Bec

You can make something like this anyway and any configuration and get the same results. Or just a few pieces and make it the same as the woodpecker track. Or check out u-tub for more lay outs.
    Last edited by richard poitras; 02-10-2021 at 6:55 PM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Quote Originally Posted by richard poitras View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_QsnUk0Bec

You can make something like this anyway and any configuration and get the same results. Or just a few pieces and make it the same as the woodpecker track. Or check out u-tub for more lay outs.
    Thanks. I already have a 4 x 8 away table, no room for more tables. Thanks
    Brian

An "L" shaped fixture clamped to the table or with threaded knobs into threaded inserts would provide a means to clamp a board on edge to plane, etc. Adding threaded inserts to the work surface would allow multiple fixtures to be held in place to help with the things you want to do.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

An "L" shaped fixture clamped to the table or with threaded knobs into threaded inserts would provide a means to clamp a board on edge to plane, etc. Adding threaded inserts to the work surface would allow multiple fixtures to be held in place to help with the things you want to do.
    Jim, thanks. I have seen threaded inserts you hammer in, but would these be large enough to hold. Brian
    Brian

Would a moxon vise clamped to the table not be close to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett Yuro View Post
    Would a moxon vise clamped to the table not be close to this?
    Thanks Bennett. This is a great positive suggestion. Much appreciated. Brian
    Brian

Jim thanks for your help appreciate it., Brian
    Brian

Brian, not sure how much clamping room you have on the top (overhang, etc), but perhaps these in-line clamps from LV would work for you?

0BD92074-9FEF-4A6A-845D-789DC69B17D5.jpeg

~$40....

Blog Entries
    Try searching for a Moxon Vise. They have been gaining popularity with hand tool folks and the Roubo craze. There are all sorts of stuff out there from complete vises, to kits, to diy plans.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork