Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: anyone else sell anything like this

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Jim, thanks. I have seen threaded inserts you hammer in, but would these be large enough to hold. Brian
    I don't recommend "hammer in" inserts. You want to choose inserts that are optimized for the material your work surface is made from..softer materials want deeper threading; harder materials finer threading...and drill the correct size hole to screw them into. (That may or may not require you to buy a drill bit if it's not in your current collection) If you carefully design your "system" you don't need a lot of inserts...2-5 max I would think at regular spacing so your fixtures can be consistent and you can easily put small relief holes in your hardboard topper(s). Knobs with threaded stems are easy to come by. When you are not actually using the setup...your work surface is completely blank.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Hindsight is 8020

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I have a nice big assembly table, but did not build a vice into it. Looking for something to hold pieces for stub tenon work and hand planing like this?

Thanks Brian

https://www.woodpeck.com/ott-vise-less-work-support.html
    Good heavens, man. Just make it. That's a couple lengths - call it 2x 48" (maybe 30 bucks each?) - of 2080 Aluminum extrusion and a Powermatic t-track hold-down kit (15 bucks). 75 bucks, tops, call it $100, delivered. Looks like 8 cuts? Maybe -MAYBE - 10? Any non-ferrous/aluminum/plywood/high tooth count blade on the tables saw/miter saw/band saw will yield a clean cut. Maybe 90 seconds with a file afterwards.

90 seconds of googling (I'm SURE you can get it cheaper. Go to 8020 inc's website so they at least combine the shipping for you; the links below are not affiliate links):

Just my 2¢ (Et quia id quod reddere).

Hell, if you're in the Kansas City area, I'LL​ make it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Jurusz View Post
    Good heavens, man. Just make it. That's a couple lengths - call it 2x 48" (maybe 30 bucks each?) - of 2080 Aluminum extrusion and a Powermatic t-track hold-down kit (15 bucks). 75 bucks, tops, call it $100, delivered. Looks like 8 cuts? Maybe -MAYBE - 10? Any non-ferrous/aluminum/plywood/high tooth count blade on the tables saw/miter saw/band saw will yield a clean cut. Maybe 90 seconds with a file afterwards.

90 seconds of googling (I'm SURE you can get it cheaper. Go to 8020 inc's website so they at least combine the shipping for you; the links below are not affiliate links):

Just my 2¢ (Et quia id quod reddere).

Hell, if you're in the Kansas City area, I'LL​ make it for you.
    Jason I thought about that, but I think the Moxon vise is a good option for me. I don't do a lot of hand work, but when I do I need something to hold it for me. thanks brian
    Brian

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm just saying: of all; the WP OneTime tools I've seen over the years, that's the first one where my knee-jerk reaction is, "you're kidding, right?" I don't delude myself into thinking I could home-fabricate /precision-mill something like their Fibonacci Gauge or their Stair Tread and Shelf Gauge - not with the accuracy of their industrial laser-cut supplier; that would be hubris. But that Viseless Work Support...

I dunno what your budget is, but depending on that I can make some suggestions, moxon-vice wise, if you're of a mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Jurusz View Post
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm just saying: of all; the WP OneTime tools I've seen over the years, that's the first one where my knee-jerk reaction is, "you're kidding, right?" I don't delude myself into thinking I could home-fabricate /precision-mill something like their Fibonacci Gauge or their Stair Tread and Shelf Gauge - not with the accuracy of their industrial laser-cut supplier; that would be hubris. But that Viseless Work Support...

I dunno what your budget is, but depending on that I can make some suggestions, moxon-vice wise, if you're of a mind.
    well I must be a complete idiot then huh!
    Brian

A man with a few clamps could manage this with a sheet of plywood and (removable) screws. That's beer money you're budget can't replace...

I'll add to the Moxon vise argument. I don't use mine a lot but it's handy to have when I need it. I made it for the cost of a piece of all-thread and some threaded inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    An "L" shaped fixture clamped to the table or with threaded knobs into threaded inserts would provide a means to clamp a board on edge to plane, etc. Adding threaded inserts to the work surface would allow multiple fixtures to be held in place to help with the things you want to do.

I have a piece 3 X 3 aluminum angle just for this. It's about 3 feet long.