Thread: Mystery- Staining/ Discoloration using BLO

Question Mystery- Staining/ Discoloration using BLO

This is my very first post. I've learned a lot by spending time here and appreciate the wealth of knowledge.

I have two problems... First since I don't want this to ever happen again I would appreciate thoughts on what might have caused the staining pattern. I flattened two thick cherry rounds and applied the BLO that you get at Lowes. I've done this before which has worked beautifully. I liked how the end grain soaks in the BLO and helped stabilize the wood... and helped bring out the color. Not this time though! The only thing that I can think of that I may have done differently was to apply BLO the same day I flattened the top and bottom with a router.

In looking closely at the pattern i really don't think it is brush marks. The staining showed up the same day. It almost looks like a flame pattern (ironically).

The next problem will be removing the stains which will not be fun if I have to sand or remove another layer of wood due to the BLO. I've tried Mineral Spirits, Clorox, and Sanding. Sanding is the only thing that helps, but it will be a long process because of how the BLO gums up the sander.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eric groff; 02-10-2021 at 2:01 PM.

What you show appears to be normal to me, especially for end grain "cookies". Removal would likely require you taking off some more with a router sled and even then, it's likely that reapplication will look the same...for these particular rounds.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Was the wood kiln dried, air dried, or "I don't know."?

John

I am really surprised sanding removes those stains. That almost looks like spalting. When you sand it and then apply a quick splash of mineral spirits or denatured alcohol, does the staining re-appear?

YMMV, but that does not look objectionable to my eyes... I'd continue as is.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Was the wood kiln dried, air dried, or "I don't know."?

John
    The Wood was Air Dried for over one year.... I didn't check the moisture content, probably should have.

I will definitely check to see if it comes back where I sanded. I appreciate the comment, I would hate to spend a lot of time sanding and making a huge mess, just to have it come back!

Quote Originally Posted by eric groff View Post
    The Wood was Air Dried for over one year.... I didn't check the moisture content, probably should have.
    How thick are these cookies?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    How thick are these cookies?
    The cookies are almost 3 inches thick.

Quote Originally Posted by eric groff View Post
    The cookies are almost 3 inches thick.
    Ok....you have a couple more years of air drying to do probably...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ok....you have a couple more years of air drying to do probably...
    I just don’t understand why the staining is just happening on these and not the others? Does slightly higher moisture react with BLO? These were definitely drier than the earlier batch. It seems like the oil finish helps stabilize them as they finish drying. I appreciate the comments that it looks normal. I usually am one that appreciates "character" but this staining looks very unnatural to me and I don’t want it to happen again.

I really appreciate the comments about it coming back after sanding (Prashun). You are correct. I applied mineral spirits to the sanded section and the staining came right back??? I’m super glad you mentioned this so that I didn’t waste a lot of time sanding. I was leaning towards blaming the BLO but maybe it’s something in the wood that’s more visible after an application of anything??
    I'm not familiar with Spalting, so I will have to do some research on that. If the general consensus is that its "natural" and there is nothing to do I guess I will either live with it or put something on to darken everything since I really don't like the way they look.

Spalting is the figuring you see, including black lines and lighter areas, that comes from the "start" of the decomposition process. I've even seen it in not just deadfall, but partially alive trees just after cutting. Folks find this figure valuable in many cases, but as always, that's something subjective.

BLO or other oils can indeed be affected by moisture in the material, however. And at 3" thick, they are likely still "sopping wet" after only a year. That may also be why there may be spalting since moisture (and decay spores) is a catalyst for that figure.
    --

You are about to discover the wonderful world of spalting! It's basically partial decomposition of the wood from fungus that results in lines or stains. It can also just be water damage, but the striking mountain peak pattern makes me think it's spalt.

Insects can also stain wood but this doesn't look like that to me. I am not a pro, just google a lot.