Thread: Paoson woodworking workbenches

Paoson woodworking workbenches

I'm curious if anyone has built any of the workbenches offered by Paoson Woodworking? I find the designs very intriguing and well thought out. He designed a larger bench and smaller, modular, benches that can be reconfigured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR__Uj7vopI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTR9kg94z9A

-Dave

homemade-cutting-station-plywood-workbench.jpghomemade-modular-workbench-mobile-tool-stand-plans.jpg
    Last edited by David Miller; 02-10-2021 at 5:36 PM.

Funny, I've just been hemming and hawing over them for the past month. Bought the plans a couple weeks ago. Now that I just finished a couple other shop things it's time to look at them better.

I'm leaning towards two of the smaller joinable units. Was thinking more in the ball park of 2'x5', but will probably have to go a little smaller just because the vise sticks out. That way I'd have something like 4'x5'ish when side by side. 99% of the time they'd be joined side by side. Was thinking if they are two seperate units I could disconnect them and push them aside if I need an area to build something taller. Or being only 2x5ish I could push them off somewhere else in the shop, or even into the hallway if I needed the space. Even at 2x4 I don't think I could link them length wise as I don't have the space, maybe diagonal, but either way long ways would be very tight to walk around on the ends.

I think I would lean towards laminated LVL for the top like Mike Farrington does.....I like the look. Not that it would be much different looking than laminated baltic birch. Just a few less laminations.

Not sure what I would do with the storage either. I have finally have quite a bit of storage. Some would be fastener storage and maybe a few bigger drawers for tool storage.

As usual, I am now to the over thinking mode.

EDIT: With the space I have, mine would be used for both an assembly bench and a traditional wood working bench. So not sure where to go with all that oo.
    Last edited by Jim Fox; 02-10-2021 at 3:26 PM.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Paoson's larger bench is a bit like Guido Henn's Allrounder Multi-Werkbank.

I'm leaning towards the smaller benches too. Although resizing the larger bench is an option as well.

Can you give me a bit more info on Mike Farrington's LVL top? I looked at some of his videos but didn't catch this.

Peter,

They certainly do have their similarities. I'm particularly intrigued by the track saw cross-cut function.

Quote Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
    I'm leaning towards the smaller benches too. Although resizing the larger bench is an option as well.

Can you give me a bit more info on Mike Farrington's LVL top? I looked at some of his videos but didn't catch this.
    He doesn't go in to much detail about building it, but he makes some upgrades to his current one in the video below and briefly discusses why he uses LVL.

At about 2:03 in he starts his quick talk about it.

https://youtu.be/vwG39fE6obs
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Funny, I just watched a couple of his videos last night.

The saw guide/crosscut is pretty slick.

Jim,

Got it! Thanks for providing the video. I do like the LVL top!