Thread: Best way to cut a saw plate?

Best way to cut a saw plate?

A rectangular fragment of a saw plate floating around in my shop was intended as a scraper. It turned out to be perfect to use to extend a saw kerf into the pin boards in half-blind dovetails. I was delighted that the rectangle is exactly the thickness I need for the task (0.025”), so it is in use. But it’s about an inch wider than it needs to be. I’d like to trim it down to make a more elegant tool.

I cut wood. I’m out of my depth when faced with cleanly cutting a tool steel plate along a straight line. What are some options I might already have in my shop?

I don’t have a dedicated metal grinder, but I have a Dremel, cordless drill, and drill press.

Dremel would work. I cut my first few plates using a grinder and a cutoff wheel. Take your time, keep it cool.

abrasive cutting disk in a saw. Watch out for saw dust fires. It will have to be retempered on the cut edge.
    Bill D

If I were you I'd invest in a budget quality 4-1/2" angle grinder and use a cutoff wheel with it. Horror Freight has some starting at 13 bucks and going up to $100.

For a better quality tool, consider Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee or Metabo. I've used all of them and they are great tools.

Strike a line, hacksaw, then file any imperfections. A 0.025" thick plate won't take long to cut.