Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to not get splinters when working with plywood?

I got out my block plane and went over the edges of plywood I used for my tablesaw sled after removing a small dagger type splinter from my finger the other night.I used construction plywood being the cheapie I am.

Blog Entries
    There seem to be two threads here: Splinters in the hand, and tearout.
    For splinter injuries, I just try not to slide my hands. I let go and grab somewhere else. I learned that working sheet metal. Gloves are a great idea around saws. I'm always careful to avoid getting gloves near any moving machine parts.

For tearout, there are great hints:
    sharp blade
    apply tape
    You can score the material using a utility knife
    zero clearance plate
    I get great results with a High Alternate Top Bevel blade. Those things are scary and prone to chipping but they cut clean.

The finger I'm clicking my mouse with right now hurts like crap due to a huge plywood splinter I removed two days ago. I usually wear Depot work gloves which pretty much eliminates splinters for me. Two days ago I was too lazy to find the gloves and I got bit. I was too lazy so I suffer in silence... I do not wear gloves when operating machines or even power tools.....when it comes to that I do not get lazy.
    Last edited by fred everett; 02-18-2021 at 11:27 AM.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

I get little splinters every time I run Baltic Birch, even with a fresh sharpened Freud blade. If I don't have a new splinter or abrasion on at least one hand, my time in the shop isn't over yet.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

I agree with Jim, I use really sharp blades on a sliding table saw with a scoring blade and the board clamped to the slider. The cut is fantastic, but if you accidentally run your hand along the edge you get a micro splinter and with hard wood it's easy to slice your finger open. I do both regularly. If I have a period where I'm in the hobby shop for a few weeks my hands toughen up. I do not wear gloves for anything other than moving material around. Never when running machines.

Joe's post above made me realize I shouldn't take for granted folks know it's not a good idea to wear gloves running machines. I learned years ago even pwr hand drills pose risk when a bit slid on steel I was hand holding grabbed my glove. Had to cut the glove off and get stitches.....minor but an important warning for me.
    Thanks,
    Fred

Seasoned professional possessing unremarkable proficiency at innumerable skills.

Of course, considering the KISS method...perhaps we should all stop running our hands and fingers along the board edges. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...