Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shelix On A3-31 Jointer/Planer

Shelix On A3-31 Jointer/Planer

Hi,

I have a Hammer A3-31 Jointer Planer and am contemplating changing from the stock Tersa straight knife cutter head to a Shelix head. Primarily to reduce noise and tearout. I frequently work with highly figuerd Big Leaf Maple and lace redwood and get quite a bit of tear out with the straight cobalt knives.

Has anyone changed out their A3-31 to a shelix head. Results improved? How difficult was it to change out the head? I would purchase the head with the bearing installed. Is Byrd the best supplier to purchase the helical head from?

Thank you in advance for you input!

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

about a month or two ago there was an in depth discussion on FOG (Felder Owners Group) regarding this issue. I would encourage you to go there for some info.

Glen,
    I just received my A3-31 last Friday. It replaced a Grizzly 6" jointer with the Grizzly segmented cutting block. I ordered the Hammer "silent power" segmented cutting block for my A3. It is light years ahead of the Grizzly block, which I liked a lot. The surface I got on some 11" wide cherry was only in need of a gentle touch with a smoother plane and it is ready for finish. Have you looked at getting a Hammer cutting block? I'm not sure they even sell their "silent power cutting block" as a separate part, but they are worth it. As an added benefit, it would be a drop in to your A3. I really do love this machine!
    Tom

I didn't think Hammer used a TERSA. Was that an upgrade and if so have you tried other knives. TERSA makes a M42 that should give better results. cobalt is low end. Dave

Hi Glen,

I ordered mine with the byrd head. It got changed in deleware when it got off the boat so I cant speak to the changover or to the before and after. But the bryd head on the A3-31 is really nice. Quiet and the finish is excellent.

~mark

No tare out with a Byrd Shelix cutter head on this maple.

amp1.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, the Silent Power head cannot be added to the machines after production, only a Byrd can be retro fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Carpenter View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the Silent Power head cannot be added to the machines after production, only a Byrd can be retro fitted.
    That is my understanding as well...........Rod.

Gentlemen,

I appreciate your replies. Correct...Hammer does not offer a Shelix retrofit option.
    I am convinced by the results clearly shown on Mr. Coolidges curly maple amp, absolutely beautiful!

I was unable to find the FOG discussion Dominic mentions, anyone have a link to it?

I sure would like to hear someone's experience with making the change over to the shelix head!
    many thanks to all!

Glenn

Felders Owners Group (FOG) is a yahoo group. you will need to register. helixhead.com can make a cutter head to, don't know how it compares to the bryd.

I purchased the Byrd head for my A3-31. Have not had the opportunity to attempt the installation yet. Plan to do this in the next few weeks. Should you run into a problem, the tech's at Felder would be more than willing to assist you. I know they have a tech bulletin on the install. They also suggest you purchase a new seal that goes on one end of the shelix head.

I read where the Tersa heads actually produced a superior cut to the Shelix. Perhaps Erik discussed that once in here. I added the Shelix head to a MiniMax FS35 and there's a world of difference between straight blades and the Shelix head. It's not an inexpensive endeavor, so make certain you want the Shelix for your needs. I have significantly reduced tear-out when using it with Maple but some tear-out nonetheless.

I have MM FS41-Elite (16" J/P) with the Tersa head (3 knives) and with sharp knives, I rarely have issues and I've run my fair share of figured maple through it. I still get tear out here and there but that usually means I need to flip the knives over for a fresh edge.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I didn't think Hammer used a TERSA. Was that an upgrade and if so have you tried other knives. TERSA makes a M42 that should give better results. cobalt is low end. Dave
    Another vote for trying the M42 knives..

15. Are you absolutely sure you have Tersa knives? Those are not the stock knives and I don't think they're even offered on Hammer machines. My guess is you have the stock Hammer cutter block system. If I'm wrong then I apologize.
    If I were you Ii would try many things before committing to the change to any different cutter block. At least 50% of all planer issues can be solved by waxing the bed. Start there. Then try different feed speeds, then different depths of cut. Then wax the bed again and try it all over again. Then try different knives and start again.

Also, you're asking a lot not to get any tearout with big leaf or birdseye. It's a ridiculously difficult wood to machine and neither tool nor money is going to change that entirely.

Seriously, change the block as a last resort. It's spendy and tough to do .
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-26-2014 at 5:11 PM.