Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearing protection

I like the sthil/husquevarna forestry helmet made by peltor for mowing and other outdoor stuff. It is nice indoors as well since the screen does not fog.
    I have absolutely no trust in China made hearing protection meeting the supposed DB reduction. I fully assume they are made up numbers. The only way to prove me wrong are to wear it for 20-30 years and see if you are deaf from poor protective equipment. Note that DB is a log scale so an improvement of 7 DB cuts noise, and damage in half. It is easy to get a 7 DB improvement with just a little research.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-09-2021 at 12:23 AM.

I use 3M Worktunes for 90% of my hearing protection, even when I'm not running equipment. The version without a radio but with Bluetooth. I pair it to my phone and listen to Pandora stations nonstop. I bought a set for my son for Christmas, his has the new gel earpads which are even more comfortable. I also have a bunch of regular Peltor earmuffs, Isotunes PRO 2.0 BT earbuds, Moldex Rockets earplugs and a variety of cheap foam earplugs as well. So for any situation I have something that works. The Isotunes earbuds work great in the winter when you can't put a hat over the earmuffs but still want to run outdoor equipment.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

It’s no joke guys

Please use hearing protection.
    I worked around loud machines , generators, routers and nail guns for years. Never had protection.
    According to my hearing Doc, I am now at 50%.
    Yes I have to wear hearing aids for work now.
    Yes it sucks
    But keep smiling and going forward
    Buy some peltors they’re cheap, my doc says they’re good.
    They’re comfy for me.
    Just an opinion.
    Regards
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Pardon

that sucks i tried to make a joke and not enough words
    Haha, both were funny.............Rod.

You are correct Eric, hearing damage is no fun.

I always wear hearing protection, even when motorcycling I wear earplugs.

For hearing protection at work and home I use 3M Worktunes or Peltor earmuffs.................Rod.

P.S. I really like the Worktunes when using the snow blower, keeps my ears warm, provides hearing protection and I can listen to music or a podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I use the top two types the most.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071CT5CHY 3 of these, various colors
    I have couple of these also. 34db reduction, $15. ...Think I'll get a few more..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Eric John View Post
    It’s no joke guys

I worked around loud machines , generators, routers and nail guns for years. Never had protection.
    Yes it sucks
    They’re comfy for me.
    Just an opinion.
    Regards
    Eric

By all means get comfortable muffs so that you will wear them. I'm not even 50, have been very careful since getting into WW about wearing hearing protection around power tools and the like, and I already have tinnitus and moderate hearing loss in my right ear (likely from wearing a headset on that ear for my day job the last 15 years). It is not pleasant.
    This year I got a set of noise-cancelling over-the-ear headphones to use at my desk, and 3M Bluetooth Worktunes for the shop. I hope to prevent any further loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric John View Post
    It’s no joke guys

Yes it sucks
    They’re comfy for me.
    Just an opinion.
    Regards
    Eric
    Amen to that. A good opinion. I use them in the shop, chainsawing, mowing, operating the bobcat, sawmill, and with firearms.

I know people my age (70+) who have serious hearing loss from firearms, occupational sound, and years of loud concerts. My Lovely Bride claims my hearing is much worse than it was 50 years ago. A recent hearing test indicated I have very little loss except some at very high frequencies. Now she suspects I only hear her when I want to. Somehow I can ALWAYS hear "I'm taking the pie out of the oven."

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I have couple of these also. 34db reduction, $15. ...Think I'll get a few more..
    I have a pair of these; https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....son&highlight=
    The 3M X5a are still my go to muffs.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hey Eric

heres the deal for me. I worked with Bands from young and not insanely loud like some concerts ive been at. When I got into working i likely wasnt wearing ear protection. I stopped one day driving past a Hearing Society and went in and asked. They said they test people and did. I was down in two or three frequencies. I wore ear protectors from that day on. The ear muff ones. Had a set from the airport guys use around the planes when they do all those funny hand signals. They sucked. They were so tight that I almost had to change to a smaller hat size. i picked up some red ones from Princess auto one day and they are used all the time. Once wearing them I could not stand to not wear them around any noise. Hand sanding with a block likely fine but an air RO, they are on before stuff is started.

Lawnmower same thing. I got tested a year after wearing them and my hearing was better. I lost one frequency permanently if I remember correctly and that was likely from a router. Even a saw running now they are on first. The general is noisey and lower frequencies. The SCM is not as loud but higher RPM and larger blade, what a difference in sound, its like a small Jet. Amazing how different they are and the SCM will still get lined with stuff as there are some microphonic panels when I rap them.

The Pardon thing was just what came to mind, so w hile it appeared I was making light of it for the most part I cant work with them. Lie putting on a coat before going out in the cold. It would drain my energy to run even a dynabrade sander without the ear things. I dont know how many DB these block but its good and they are light and comfortable enough. The have the band that goes over your head., I put it in front or under my chin, like a foot ball player. I dont want stuff rubbing on my head and wearing off any follicles. Worn them that way for a long time. Odd I suppose but more comfortable as well. Gets to be a bother when whipper snipping and saftey glasses on or if with a mask on top.

I dont have a cell and most of you seem to run gizmos off cells. I run a radio or you tube or DVD through a stereo and sreen with speakers 30 feet apart. Makes for great sound with an action movie on. When the headphones come I music or whatever or at times just the woodstove.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I have a pair of these; https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....son&highlight=
    The 3M X5a are still my go to muffs.
    Yup...I'm very happy with the Finova muffs as I mentioned. They are comfortable and the price is right.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've found the 3M Peltor Behind-the-Head Earmuffs H7B/H10B etc. to be significantly more comfortable than the over-the-head variety, and they don't interfere with any kind of headgear, safety glasses, etc.

They use a stiff spring wire behind the neck and a very thin (optional) nylon strap over the head for stability. I got them initially for use with my safety helmet/face shield, but they've become my go to muffs all the time because of their comfort. The thin connecting spring wire also allows them to hang places a wider headband can't, like on the table saw fence's locking lever.

Blog Entries

Been wearing the same David Clark's for decades. Extremely comfortable and long lasting quality.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I know you said you don't like plugs, but I really like my Plugfones. They have both foam tips and rubber tips that don't bother my ears. They aren't enough for shooting but they're more than enough for woodworking.

I find I can't wear respirators or safety glasses properly when using muffs. Plus, my ears and head gets all sweaty within just a few minutes of using them.