Thread: "Nautilus"

"Nautilus"

This pieces is made from Sapele and Curly Maple it finished at
    9" x 9". The coloring was DecoArt metallics and Rub'n Buff Antique Gold. Most of the carving work was hand done with the help of a Dremel in just a few places. All parts were first turned on the lathe then carved.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

I'm speechless! (Proving what's often been said about me is a malicious lie!)
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Bruce, great to see new stuff ! It's all good ,too! This one makes me think of how materials and process influence how
    we perceive art. I think that many of us seeing several hundred perfect plastic copies of that in a road side bargain barn ,might ...barf !
    But seeing it here , and knowing B. Jones made it; makes it a fine piece conceived in an expansive imagination and beautifully carved and painted.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    I'm speechless! (Proving what's often been said about me is a malicious lie!)
    This is funny, Thank you Dave probably the nicest complement one could give.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Bruce, great to see new stuff ! It's all good ,too! This one makes me think of how materials and process influence how
    we perceive art. I think that many of us seeing several hundred perfect plastic copies of that in a road side bargain barn ,might ...barf !
    But seeing it here , and knowing B. Jones made it; makes it a fine piece conceived in an expansive imagination and beautifully carved and painted.
    I hope folks see the latter Mel, some think it to much, most seem to love it. it made the cover of WOW so did "The Hatchling"

Bruce, good to here from you. I was afraid I had offended you and that was not my intention. I see fine work with
    some kitsch elements.....kinda' like the real Mona Lisa with a 1950's style calendar of matching width thumb tacked to
    the bottom of the frame.
    If any one reading this works at Louvr and wants to use the above idea....it's okay. But my name has to be above
    Leonnardo's !
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 02-10-2021 at 12:46 AM.

No worries Mel, I'm an artist we have to have thick skin. (you did not offend me) I here all types of things from others that can't draw a line, I just move on to my next project and smile.

Another beautiful piece, Bruce. It's always a pleasure to see your work!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks again Fred.

WOW over 1,000 views.

Super nice and original - i like it much better than the Poseidon's platters. When you say carved by had - is that with a carving knife? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Metzman View Post
    Super nice and original - i like it much better than the Poseidon's platters. When you say carved by had - is that with a carving knife? Thanks
    Thank you David Yes most of the carving was done with Flexcut knives and gouges I did use the Dremel saw and drum sander on the part around the base behind the fish to remove a large piece before carving. A photo of some of the tools used.
    Attached Images Attached Images