Thread: Fun Little Shelf Box

Fun Little Shelf Box

Straight out of Woodsmith Magazine #249 Shelf Box
    An exercise in small dimensions and tight tolerance's. This was fun to build and came out pretty good. I plan on making another one with Cherry or Walnut. Small hinge mortises were done on the router table with a shop made jig. I hid some rare earth magnets in the door and frame for the catches. Just enough to hold them shut. I used gunstock stain and wipe on Arm a seal. Not real thrilled with the finish. Wish I would have spent some time and tried the Jeff Jewitt process.
    Fun little project.

front unfinished.jpgfront finished 1.jpgside finished.jpghinges.jpgfront size.jpg

Looks great. Nice job. What are the dimensions?

Thanks Joe
    Woodsmith Magazine Vol. 42 No 249
    It was one of last years later months.
    I do have one little nagging problem. It doesn't always sit flat on the shelfs I have been trying it on.
    I think I have a leg that is long and everywhere I set it it sits different. Thinking about putting some thin felt on the bottom of the legs to help this unevenness and keep it from scratching anything.

Great work, Mike. I know pictures don’t do it justice, but I like the finish. Nice warm brown. And truth be told, I’ve been known to put a little felt under the legs to even things up. No sin in that as far as I’m concerned!

Nice box Mike - you did a good job with those hinge mortises - always a challenge.

cool little box Mike. I've been looking for a small box for my kitchen and may need to steal your design. Well done.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Blog Entries
    Very nice. I enjoy small projects that carry all the challenges of larger pieces. Great material, hardware and color.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Really nice, I had to look twice to believe it wasn't a full size cabinet.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute