Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stickley Console Table

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Burke View Post
    Rob, Very Nice !! Looks like it's 100 yrs old....and that's a good thing isn't it ?
    I would appreciate your drawings for a starting point. I will pm you my email
    Thanks
    Done. Here's the original SMC thread from when I built it. There's a set of drawings attached there too. (edit: actually two sets. the last one posted has more detail)

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ighlight=Table
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 02-09-2021 at 11:05 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Well its been taking forever to get this table built but working on it. Doing some building technique's I haven't done before so I'm learning new stuff. It's been fun.
    I have come to the drawer building part. So I have a few questions and looking for suggestions also.

My plan is:
    Half blind DT on the front, but not sure on the back. Thru DT or other other methods ?
    Its worked out with the top side stretchers, that I'm thinking about side mount wood runners that are rabbeted in the side of drawer. Any other suggestions ?
    Any good drawer making how to's that I should look at first, to get educate me on drawer construction ?

Here are a couple photos of my table and drawer slides I'm thinking about doing.
    On my table the Top of the front stretcher is even with the Bottom of the side stretcher. Drawers opening is 14 7/16 wide x 10 1/8 deep.
    I don't want to drop down lower on the side because you would see the drawer runner from the side through the spindles .
    I have added a filler strip to make the side flush with the legs.

Hope this makes sense.

drawer opening.jpgdrawer opening 1.jpg-drawer-slide_xl.jpg

I'm going to answer my own questions
    Looking at an old desk here at work.
    I could do this....and keep the runners even with the bottom of the side stretchers and make the drawer shallower than the front.
    These photos are of the middle drawer on this desk. The front is 4" and the drawer is 3" deep.
    drawer slides 1.jpgfront overhand.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Burke; 04-29-2021 at 11:18 AM.

I used the side-mount wood runners on a bathroom vanity I built. They work awesome. I was worried at first because drawers felt tight with about 1/32” clearance each side - then I waxed runners and drawer sides with furniture wax and they run as smooth as can be.
    Last edited by Gary Focht; 04-29-2021 at 12:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

For what it's worth, the actual Stickley console has wood runners along the center bottom of the drawer. There's a thin (hardboard?) piece below the drawer that has the other half of the runner. And there's a tab attached to the underside of the top, that keeps the drawer from coming all the way out. Let me know if you want pics of this.

Silly question Dave
    pictures would be Great !
    I have seen drawers like that with a dovetail guide on the bottom in the middle.

Thank you

Here you go! The slide isn't a dovetail, it's just square shoulders. Not the strip along above the drawer, that holds it down so the drawer doesn't drop as you slide it out.

IMG_2446.jpgIMG_2445.jpgIMG_2447.jpgIMG_2448.jpgIMG_2449.jpgIMG_2450.JPG

Excellent Dave !
    Thank you

Table's looking real good Mike. Nice work! I've used the first method: built out the sides to flush with the legs, then added a runner. On the last set I did I added UHMW low friction tape to the runner and it made a nice difference in the drawer operation. But the center runner looks interesting too. Looking forward to see what you do.

20200607_105443.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.