Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stickley Console Table

Stickley Console Table

My next project is going to be a current Stickley design... Console Table. This will be my first Stickley design piece ( I have been bitten) by the Stickley bug. The design and Quarter Sawn oak is addicting.
    Anyway I haven't found any plans and probably won't so, I plan on looking at other similar stickley designed tables and come up with a plan. There is a couple things I am wondering about.

What is the joinery for the square spindles on the side ? I assume they are square mortise and tenons .

And from what I have read and seen here the legs "should" be built around a core so the quarter sawn grain shows on all sides ?

I'm sure there will be other questions that come up during this project but this is a start.

Thanks

Here the Console Table

Console Table.jpg

Mike, the side pieces are M&T as you indicated. Take a close look at the legs in your picture. The front side of the legs is quarter sawn, but the inside is not. This would indicate they are cut to thickness from a single piece and the quarter sawn side is faced out.

Thanks Phil
    I see that grain pattern on the photo of this table.
    Are some Original Stickley pieces mitered corner legs so the quarter sawn grain is on all four sides ?
    Thanks

Welcome to the Stickley club Mike. Even tho I get sidetracked by Limbert or Mackintosh or G&G I always seem to come back to Stickley.

Regarding the legs: the easiest way I've found to get fleck on all 4 sides is by gluing resawn pieces to a core. In this pic I used a core of poplar: not the best pic but you get the idea. !/2" and 3/16" pieces glues up.
    20190702_180520.jpg
    This gave legs that looked like this:
    20190713_193306.jpg

Spindles: I've always done something like this: plow a dado for the spindles and space them with QSWO spacers.
    20210208_154434.jpg

2 books that I've found very valuable are Wood Magazine's Arts and Crafts Furniture, and Robert Lang's Great Book of Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture. I look forward to following your progress.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Bill, thanks for the tips. Interesting technique for the spindles, kind of like a stair banister. I have been eyeballing your Stickley pieces you have built , Very Nice !! And inspiring. In fact I was going to pm you and ask you about your building tips but posted it for all to read.

I have been wood working off and on for many years and I don't know why, but I never paid attention or knew about the Stickley furniture. I have built some craftsman pieces out of the wood magazine or woodsmith but for some reason it never really hit me like it has now. I think its pretty cool furniture.

I just started reading Robert Lang's book, so I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the suggestions.

The challenge now is to find a load of Good Quarter Sawn oak in southeast Iowa.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Regarding the legs: the easiest way I've found to get fleck on all 4 sides is by gluing resawn pieces to a core. In this pic I used a core of poplar: not the best pic but you get the idea. !/2" and 3/16" pieces glues up.
    20190702_180520.jpg
    When I have made legs this way, I have arranged things so that the 2 most visible sides of each front leg were, in effect, book matched.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    When I have made legs this way, I have arranged things so that the 2 most visible sides of each front leg were, in effect, book matched.
    Good point Jay. Even if they legs are not book matched, I always make sure the full width face is to the front. It's important to take some time to make sure you use the wood to its best advantage.

Mike - happy to help in any way. Here, pm, whatever.

Some venerable craft here.

I did a similar table a few years ago. I didn't have the guts to add drawers . I looked at doing the spindles using the process Bill illustrates above, but had some lumber with exceptionally nice figure and did solid panels instead. They're set in a blind mortise. I have a set of drawings somewhere if you'd like to use them as a jumping off point.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Show off!

Rob, Very Nice !! Looks like it's 100 yrs old....and that's a good thing isn't it ?
    I would appreciate your drawings for a starting point. I will pm you my email
    Thanks

Mike, I happen to have that Stickley Console Table - current not old, bought not built. If you need any specific photos or measurements, I'm happy to oblige. It's sitting 10 feet from me, so easy to do

Good luck with your build, it's a beautiful piece.

Blog Entries

Dave
    No kidding, Thanks for the offer. That would be most helpful also. I will get going on some drawings and get my list together. Thanks

I was reading some of Bob Lang's book and the intro about Gustav Stickley history and comments on his design's is very interesting.
    Seems like a lot of the same pieces were a little different in dimensions due to several factors.

Mike - Woodmizer has a site where you can search for local saywers. Might find a good one with a supply of QSWO.

https://woodmizer.com/us/Find-a-Local-Sawyer