Thread: Router Table Router Selection

Router Table Router Selection

All, doing some shop upgrades and planning to build new router table (New Yankee Workshop plan) and demote my Elu router to handheld duty. It's my favorite router for heavier work but I really want above the table adjustment. Searched here and elsewhere on the web and I really think the Triton TRA001 is a good way to go. Any comments on newer and better alternatives? Was considering the Milwaukee 5625-20 but lots of negative feedback about its quality. Doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews for newer models that would work well in a router tale so thought I would ask the subject matter expert here. As always, thanks in advance.

While the Trition TRA001 is a good plunge router, in my experience, it is not a good choice for a router table. I bought the TRA001 specifically to use in a router table because it has the capability to set the router depth through the base. However, before I could build my table, I used a friend's setup that was similar to what mine would be.

His TRA001 was encased in a home-built dust shroud connected to his dust collection system. In order to raise the router to change cutters, I had to open the door on the dust shroud and reach around by feel to access the power switch and turn it off so the integrated spindle lock could engage. After about six hours of running boards through his TRA001 table, I decided to abandon my plan and use an Incra Mast-R-Lift II with a dedicated motor for my table. My only regret in this decision was not making it sooner and saving a lot of money on my expensive path of discovery.

If it helps, here is a video that compares the Triton TRA001 in an Incra router plate like I had and the Mast-R-Lift II with a motor like I have now. I sold my TRA001 and router plate for about half of what I paid for it to a viewer of this video.

I don't think the Triton is a good router table option for a different reason. My TRA001 developed a backlash in the height adjustment gradually to the point where unlocking it resulted in the bit dropping by almost 1/8".

My response about this from Triton was "its the nature of the beast". They offered to ship to a repair center which I declined. I'm guessing plastic gears. It is possible they have fixed the issue by now.

It is still a beast of a router and works perfectly fine - but not upside down (funny its from the land down under you'd think this wouldn't be an issue LOL)

I replaced it with a MastRLift II and the Powertek router motor, which I've been told Jessem no longer carries.

The lift is definitely the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Hartnett View Post
    All, doing some shop upgrades and planning to build new router table (New Yankee Workshop plan) and demote my Elu router to handheld duty. It's my favorite router for heavier work but I really want above the table adjustment. Searched here and elsewhere on the web and I really think the Triton TRA001 is a good way to go. Any comments on newer and better alternatives? Was considering the Milwaukee 5625-20 but lots of negative feedback about its quality. Doesn't seem to be a lot of reviews for newer models that would work well in a router tale so thought I would ask the subject matter expert here. As always, thanks in advance.
    Thom, I use a large Elu in a router table. There is no difficulty changing bits above the table if you use a MuscleChuck. I have also modded the Elu for superb dust control.

Further, use a Router Raizer in place if a router lift - works as well ...

The Shop Tools forum here has a recently-posted article I wrote on a router table build with all the details: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....able-Adventure

I would keep the Elu. These are some of the very best routers ever made. I have four of these machines.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 02-08-2021 at 7:02 PM.

Hi everyone,

I bought a 2nd hand home made router table with a cheap makita router table uk mounted on a piece of perspex in the centre. The problem is adjusting the height of the cutter, which can be done, but I have to remove the fence everytime and repeat the whole set up procedure, which is a pain in the rectum. I have been googling these american Rockler systems, but I wonder if there are any tips for a beginner to make the router easier for small adjustments and less tedious?

The other problem that I have is that I need a 2nd person to hold down the switch of the router (when routing) as there is no switch lock on the Makita. If I interupt the power chord with a switch the Makita becomes less portable. I probably have to compromise?

Presently I'm building cajons for friends.

I use the big PC router in my router table which has a home made lift mechanism and a tilt up top. These ideas come from an old American woodworker magazine plan and work great. I used to use a smaller Ryobi 13.3 amp router motor and the PC is a significant upgrade. Works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    I use the big PC router in my router table which has a home made lift mechanism and a tilt up top. These ideas come from an old American woodworker magazine plan and work great. I used to use a smaller Ryobi 13.3 amp router motor and the PC is a significant upgrade. Works great.
    The big PC was a venerable choice in table mounted routers, but PC is no longer manufacturing routers. For a similar router, I would suggest the Milwaukee 5625.

IMHO, there are a lot of ways to sorta make a router work in a table without a lift. None really compare to a good (and expensive) lift. I have the Incra Mast-R-Lift-II-R (the trailing -R is for the slightly narrower table openings in Rockler and some other tables), and like it a lot. The lift accommodates a wide variety of router motors without using separate adapters. Very smooth, precise and rock-solid. I have a Milwaukee 5616 router in it.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I use a Bosch 1617. I have a home built router table and some kind of generic insert. Adjusting the bit height is a breeze with the Bosch, even if it has to be done below the table top. On my table, I just open the door, flip the tab on the router and adjust using the micro-adjuster knob. Changing bits is also easy to do, I just pop the insert and router out of the table. I don't use large diameter bits so not having a 3 1/2 HP router isn't a problem.
    Last edited by Dennis McDonaugh; 05-20-2021 at 12:15 AM.
    Dennis

I have the Kreg top and fence on Norm's base and works great for me. Very happy with it. Brian
    Brian

I played around with various home grown router table/lift setups over the years. I recently went with a Mast -R- Lift II and very much regret doing it sooner.