Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving an 8" Jointer to Basement

Moving an 8" Jointer to Basement

I purchased a Delta DJ-20 jointer. Can I get advice and suggestions on moving it into my basement shop?

I have a stairway from my garage into the basement. There is plenty of room at the top and bottom of the stairs to move and turn. The stairs are a straight shot, no turns.

My current plan it to take the bed off of the base and move it separately. Is it practical for two or three guys to carry it down the stairs? Or should I build a sled to put it on and lower it down the stairs with a chain fall? Or can I move the jointer without taking it apart first? I'm curious to hear what others in this situation have done.

The assembled jointer weighs 335 lb. I guess the bed alone must weigh at least 200 lb.

You have the right strategy - take the bed off the base, carry each down separately. A DJ-20 isn’t so bad to move. I did this with a friend, just make sure not to hold the bed by the ends of the tables. We had it by base of the top unit and moved in unison one step at a time. Not bad.

Lay old blanket down, make a plywood sled of scrap plywood just a little bigger than the bed. Drag over to stairs wrap blanket and slowly slide down stairs. The main thing is to not let it build up any speed, and if it does get out of the way.

Build a simple sled and use your chain fall or a winch in a box to slowly lower it. No drama, no excitement. Sled can be a simple as a couple of 4x4s that the unit bolts to. Just round over the front of the skids so they don't hang up on the steps.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bunge View Post
    I purchased a Delta DJ-20 jointer. Can I get advice and suggestions on moving it into my basement shop?

I have a stairway from my garage into the basement. There is plenty of room at the top and bottom of the stairs to move and turn. The stairs are a straight shot, no turns.

My current plan it to take the bed off of the base and move it separately. Is it practical for two or three guys to carry it down the stairs? Or should I build a sled to put it on and lower it down the stairs with a chain fall? Or can I move the jointer without taking it apart first? I'm curious to hear what others in this situation have done.

The assembled jointer weighs 335 lb. I guess the bed alone must weigh at least 200 lb.
    When I was a younger man I moved my 8" grizzly by taking it apart and carrying the pieces into the basement and then reassembling the unit. Not sure how the Delta is made, but the top is probably not one piece. You can take off the infeed and out feed tables to lighten the load * the cutter head section etc... Taught me how it goes together and adjusts.... Brian
    Brian

I don't think I'd bother taking it apart. At most I would only take the base apart from the top but even then I think you could easily lower it down on a sled with a chainfall attached. As Paul Franklin said, "No drama, no excitement"! Maybe mount some skis to the base and just let the chainfall do the work. Easy peasy.

I agree with William. I've moved my DJ20 down and then back out of the basement.
    Unbolt it from the base and invite some strong friends over.

I made a sled, bolted the base to the sled and with help from my son and sil slid it down the steps. Sil stayed at the top of staircase pulling and slowly releasing the tow strap that was wrapped around the base just beneath the jointer. Make sure your stringers are nice and strong, I tacked on a temporary "post" half way down to help support the weight of the jointer plus two guys that have not missed any meals in their lifetime. My kids are going to curse me when I die or just sell the house complete with a basement woodshop.

Right? This isn’t a 12” or 16” beast. A sled is overkill. It just isn’t that heavy. Take the top off the base, buy a sixer and invite over a strong back. Two if you’re careful.

Quote Originally Posted by John Jardin View Post
    I agree with William. I've moved my DJ20 down and then back out of the basement.
    Unbolt it from the base and invite some strong friends over.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Build a simple sled and use your chain fall or a winch in a box to slowly lower it. No drama, no excitement. Sled can be a simple as a couple of 4x4s that the unit bolts to. Just round over the front of the skids so they don't hang up on the steps.
    That's close what I did, with 3 of us. Lifting by the tables may nudge them from being co-planar, and that can be a pia to readjust. My sled was already built to move a TS, planer, BS, lathe and other stuff however.

I would remove the planer from the base and bolt it to a 2x10 so that it could be picked up using the board, not the tables. Two people could carry it down a set of stairs.

Get some help.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I moved all of my heavy shop tools down to the basement through a set of wooden stairs with two 90-degree turns. Everything had to be disassembled so two people could manage the move safely, and stay within the load limits of the stairs. I was concerned that trying to put three or more people, plus the equipment, on the stairs could damage the stairs, so I decided to take the equipment down in pieces. Fortunately, the infeed and outfeed tables on my jointer/planer came off easily, and the manufacturer was kind enough to include lifting eyes to make hoisting easy.

I was fortunate because I had a matching set of stairs that went to the upper floor and could use a chain hoist to move the heaviest items a few steps at a time. The rest of the items could be carried safely by two people without staging.

Buy (or rent) an appliance truck and do it yourself. Two trips down the stairs, one for the jointer and one for the base with motor in it. It took me longer to read this thread than it would to get the job done.

I just winch the stuff down the stairs, no point taking anything apart or getting a hernia.....Rod