Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are carbide turning tools the equivalent of dovetail jigs?

Thank you!

I agree not all carbide cutters are the same. I don't use them much for wood but I had some delrin rod that was difficult to turn. I was told to try an EW negative rake cutter and BINGO nice curlies and smooth surface.

I'm a new turner and still very rookie.

I have a set of Sorby traditional tools, that my parents bought me 30 years ago, a handful of EWT equivalent carbide tools and two Hunter Carbides.

My go to for bowls and wide'ish spindles are the Hunter Carbides. Easy to ue with my rookie skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    I agree not all carbide cutters are the same. I don't use them much for wood but I had some delrin rod that was difficult to turn. I was told to try an EW negative rake cutter and BINGO nice curlies and smooth surface.
    Do the EW tools come stock with negative rake cutters, only certain ones, or do you have to buy those specific carbide inserts separately?

You can buy an EWT tool with either a flat topped carbide or a negative rake carbide installed. You can also buy either type of insert to replace the one that came with the tool.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona