Thread: Bit that fits screws used in light switches?

Bit that fits screws used in light switches?

The screws that fasten light switches to electric boxes have a head that's a compromise between Phillips and slotted. I've seen such compromises that actually work. However, the light switches for sale lately have screws with heads that don't work well with either type of bit. Are they supposed to? Or is there some new kind of bit that fits them?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    The screws that fasten light switches to electric boxes have a head that's a compromise between Phillips and slotted. I've seen such compromises that actually work. However, the light switches for sale lately have screws with heads that don't work well with either type of bit. Are they supposed to? Or is there some new kind of bit that fits them?
    I use a square drive bit for most electrical things these days, included in two sizes on my Klein multibit drivers. I think an ECX bit is supposed to work too but i haven’t tried one.

JKJ

I've usually used a green Robertson screwdriver.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I use a square drive bit for most electrical things these days, included in two sizes on my Klein multibit drivers. I think an ECX bit is supposed to work too but i haven’t tried one.

JKJ
    This. ECX is a combination of a square drive and a flat blade. They come in #1 and #2 corresponding to #1 and #2 square drive. ECX bits shine when you need high torque, like for conduit fittings and breakers for large wire. Otherwise a square drive bit is usually fine. I have both in my electrical go bag, but most times a square drive would be fine.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

But my favorite screwdrivers for electrical work are made by Wiha. The small end of the handle lets you spin them faster with your fingers, and the handle overall is very nice. No harm in the insulated shafts either.

You should be able to find those Kleins in Home Depot. Our Lowes stopped carrying Klein stuff a couple of years ago.

These, you have to order: https://www.wihatools.com/insulated-...0aAsqgEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    But my favorite screwdrivers for electrical work are made by Wiha. The small end of the handle lets you spin them faster with your fingers, and the handle overall is very nice. No harm in the insulated shafts either.
    They are nice. Tips stay sharp forever.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    Is this an industrial conspiracy to get people to buy more tools?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Is this an industrial conspiracy to get people to buy more tools?

jtk
    No conspiracy/collusion required. Selling more tools is naturally ingrained in commercial tool makers everywhere. Well actually, in commercial endeavors of every kind.

I think they may be Frearson heads with one slot lengthened out to allow a straight blade screwdriver to kind of fit.. Problem is that the slot is non standard width and angle is wrong so a straight blade screwdriver is a sloppy fit.
    I have no idea who makes a frearson screwdriver. I have never seen one. They are not the same a s phillips but everyone thinks they are. I believe the angle is fatter so it goes in wider into a shallow screwhead like a trim head style as is often used in electrcial because of limited space.
    Bil lD