Thread: Onieda Super Cell Question

Question Onieda Super Cell Question

I've see a few reviews around and one was using the super cell on a 15" planer. Looks to work good. Does anyone have any experience with this setup? I have an 15" planer and no plans to up size only a sideways to a 16" jointer planer. I might add a 10" or 16" drum sander but do not have the room for anything big. Any real world experience would be appreciated. It should handle the cabinet saw and bandsaw fine.

This machine seems to fit what I'm (although expensive) after as I do not have much head room or floor space. (Not enough head room for the Onieda V3000). The long run is short, 15' due to the cluster organization of tools.

I would really like to try one, but its a bit expensive to be the guinea pig!

Thanks!
    Last edited by Bryan Cramer; 02-07-2021 at 8:22 PM.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

I believe that the SuperCell will do fine with the extraction unless you are taking an extremely heavy cut on really wide material...even a much larger unit can sometimes struggle with that. The primary challenge that you'll face using a unit physically sized like the SuperCell is...the bin. You will be dumping it every few minutes if you are intently surfacing lumber. It's the nature of that process. I can fill a 55 gallon drum in about 15 minutes when processing lumber for a project if I really try.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks Jim, I would really like any long cone cyclone with a 55 gallon drum but there’s not enough room even under the eaves outside. Well I guess I’ll have to see what happens, maybe I’ll get enough back as it’s tax season.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Can you get a system in there with at least a 33 gallon bin? I believe that the SuperCell's bin is smaller than that, but I didn't just go look it up.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Can you get a system in there with at least a 33 gallon bin? I believe that the SuperCell's bin is smaller than that, but I didn't just go look it up.
    The Super Cell is available with 14, 35, and 55 gallon drums, but obviously each one increases the overall height requirements of the unit (72" for 35 gallon, 83.25" for 55 gallon). Their manual also says you need 24" above the unit for filter replacement and maintenance, however I would think that worst case you can remove the unit from the wall to perform any maintenance like that.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Bryan -- You don't have to use a drum to catch the chips. Others make a bin out of wood, which can give you more capacity. The issue then becomes how you're going to empty it.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Yes you can get the Supercell in 33 and 55 gallon bins. I have room for a 33 gallon one. Thanks for the idea of making a box,I might have to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Cramer View Post
    Thanks for the idea of making a box,I might have to look into that.
    If you try that be sure to take into account the nearly 98" of static pressure the Supercell generates. Your design will need to accommodate a bit over 500 pounds per square foot without leaking.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Just keep in mind that if you make your own bin...it must be 110% absolutely sealed. Even the tiniest air leak below the cone can cause issues with a cyclone including packing the filter with debris that's less than zero fun to clean out. DAMHIKT!
    --

I am not exactly disagreeing with the conclusion that a Supercell will work for a 15 inch planner but it's CFM rating is 465 and the general recommendation for a 15 inch planner is 500. I strongly suspect based upon it's design that it will deliver close to it's rating at the machine as long as the flex is kept to a minimum, unlike a typical DC. But it isn't quite rated to pull the air that is recommended.

I also think a collection box is influenced by the Supercell design that is kind of a shop vac on steroids with strong suction but not real high airflow. I made my collection box of 6mm luan plywood with 3/4 plywood top and bottom and corner bracing but I doubt that is strong enough for a Supercell. Might need to be all 3/4. i just caulked the corners to seal it up and my box works well below by super dust deputy with a 2hp HF DC. I have about 70 gallon capacity in an 18 inch square space.