Thread: I just saw a robin . . . .

Blog Entries

I just saw a robin . . . .

in our backyard here in Galveston County, Texas....

He was probably in some ones yard up North last week. It is fun to see the migrating birds in the winter.

OBTW, we were at 70 + degrees today with clear sunny sky. When I was a boy, we lived in Kansas City and there were no robins there in February.

We have robins year round here in Vancouver BC, we also have hummingbirds, just saw one today at the bushes in our front yard. Course we already have crocuses, primula and several flowering bushes in bloom.

16 degrees Fahrenheit in northeast Ohio.me and my wife saw an American bald eagle last week.

It was cold today with a high of 8 F. We have about a foot of snow on the ground. Our bird feeders have been very busy as has the heated water bowl. We had three Bluebirds visiting the water bowl today.

Yesterday it was 74 degrees here. We really don't have winter - just a cool season. On a cold morning it might be 40 degrees but then it warms up fairly quickly.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Made me google “do robins migrate” because I’ve read before they don’t. Didn’t spend a lot of time reading as answers were all over the place. In the short time I spent I THINK robins migrate only if the ground freezes where they are. Otherwise they stay around but change there habits in cold weather so they are less noticeable. I grew up looking for the “first robin of spring”. I’ve seen them in my yard all winter this year. IDK just interesting
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Made me google “do robins migrate” because I’ve read before they don’t. Didn’t spend a lot of time reading as answers were all over the place. In the short time I spent I THINK robins migrate only if the ground freezes where they are. Otherwise they stay around but change there habits in cold weather so they are less noticeable. I grew up looking for the “first robin of spring”. I’ve seen them in my yard all winter this year. IDK just interesting
    Do robins migrate? Some clearly do, as they routinely breed in most of sub-arctic Canada, and do not overwinter there. And even if the ones we see here in the upper Midwest don't migrate long distances North to South and back, they definitely disappear in the winter. We have dozens from March through August, and never see one from mid-August through early Spring again.

It was -15oF here overnight. So, I don't blame the Robins for leaving, if they do. What amazes is the even smaller birds that don't - chickadees and nuthatches and goldfinches and the like, who soldier on through those kind of temps (and significantly lower, for some, as their winter ranges go way up through Canada and Alaska).

I've seen robins here all winter up till now. As I understand it, they normally gather in flocks and overwinter in the woods, so don't get seen as much around houses, but are still around.

About 30 miles due south of Hershey PA. robins all year round. On unseasonably warm mornings we will here the birds chirping and singing anytime of year. Being two miles from the Susquehanna River, there are lots of bald eagles. They have become pests. Lost two lambs to bald eagles just three years ago. When the river is frozen, they will go after farm chickens, and anything else. Some folks here have been clamoring for the right to shoot the ones that attack livestock. I think the last US wildlife census was over 72 nesting pairs between here and the Conowingo dam, 25 miles south. In the late spring when they are teaching their young to fly, the aerial ballet is really great to watch., They soar, glide, and dive so gracefully over and over again for hours.

Around here we have robins all year 'round . But not the same robins. The local ones go south ....making room for the
    northern ones to get to a place that's a little warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    It was cold today with a high of 8 F. We have about a foot of snow on the ground. Our bird feeders have been very busy as has the heated water bowl. We had three Bluebirds visiting the water bowl today.
    Same here, except lots of Cardinals, Chicadees Nuthatches and Woodpeckers.

The heated birdbath is very popular...Rod