Thread: Table saw question

Table saw question

So I dont use a table saw a ton, I have a dewalt 745 which until now has done what I needed it to. It still would except for that it would be really handy to be able to cut dados which you cant do on that one. I can get a 7491RS throatplate and dewalt dado stack for like $800 new but that feels like a big investment to still have a job site saw not all that much better than I have now.

I would look at a bigger saw but my shop really could not fit a cabinet saw, even one on casters would be a real tight fit. I work in 1/2 of a two car garage and share my half with a riding mower. I do have a stationary lathe, band saw, and drill press but try to keep other tools moveable and cabinet saws are just so big. I did see a jet 10" contractor saw on craigs list for $700 but dont know how I would fit it.

Any other ideas? Wish i could do even a small dado stack on what I have.

If you can't fit a contractors saw on a mobile base then a jobsite saw may be your only other choice. When looking at the $800 price you are factoring in the $200 dado set which you'll have to buy no matter what you get. The throat plate you can make out of scrap 1/2".

A full dado set works okay on the Dewalt, just need to take your time with it. Kind of a pain getting the nut on, not much room for your fingers, which isn't isolated to the dado set.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post
    So I dont use a table saw a ton, I have a dewalt 745 which until now has done what I needed it to. It still would except for that it would be really handy to be able to cut dados which you cant do on that one. I can get a 7491RS throatplate and dewalt dado stack for like $800 new but that feels like a big investment to still have a job site saw not all that much better than I have now.

I would look at a bigger saw but my shop really could not fit a cabinet saw, even one on casters would be a real tight fit. I work in 1/2 of a two car garage and share my half with a riding mower. I do have a stationary lathe, band saw, and drill press but try to keep other tools moveable and cabinet saws are just so big. I did see a jet 10" contractor saw on craigs list for $700 but dont know how I would fit it.

Any other ideas? Wish i could do even a small dado stack on what I have.

Do the daidos with a router set up. Smaller machine that could be mobile or even hand held with a guide on sawhorses. Brian
    Brian

There are other ways to make dados, $800 is a lot of money for a minor convenience, unless you do a lot of dados

As Tom said, there are other ways. If the saw you have does everything you need then maybe consider something like a router and straight edge.

Seems like $800 could get you a Festool plunge router, guide adapter and 55" rail to make dadoes. Would take up a pretty minimal amount of space too.

Blog Entries
    For that amount of money buy a Rigid R4520 Table Saw, push stick, blade guard assembly, push pedal caster set, assembly hardware, 10 in. carbide tipped blade, die cast miter gauge, rip fence, and operator's manual.

This is a very good saw. It required very little adjustment after assembly. My son bought one and it has been great so far. It is a 1-1/2 Hp saw (13 amp) so it has good power.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-12-2021 at 6:49 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Id go with the router

Going from a General 350 cabinet saw down to the Dewalt 7491RS because of a similar real estate issue has been a real challenge for a guy with tonnes of shop experience. I'm not sure where your going with your work but I can say for sure the Dewalt saw, although a very decent saw is and always will be a site saw and expecting more out of it will require a serious amount of time and money. I set mine up in a movable work bench for multi use. If you do go with the 7491RS, I can point you past a few quirks of this saw as well as a couple worthwhile upgrades, but if dadoing is your mission, I wouldn't spend the money just for that feature. A good 3-1/2 HP Porter Cable mounted stationary or a plung router for a bit more versatility will get you there for a lot less money and space in the shop.